Computer SHUTDOWN while Gaming (complete power off after ~20-40 mins g

Hi all, great forum - it was a great pleasure to have such a wonderful resource to work from whilst building the rig.

Hopefully someone can help me with my problem.

Basically anywhere from around 20 minutes to 40 minutes into playing World of Warcraft or Battlefield 2, the computer will just shut down - as if someone pulled the power cable out of the back.

I've read up on the various threads where people are having similiar issues. Common answers include PSU, memory or over-heating issues.. possibly even the Audigy2 ZS.

My temperatures are fairly low I think and can't see that the rig is overheating.

I've run memtest on the two sticks of A-Data which i have running in dual mode @ 200hz. No errors - plus it seems to do it with all of my different sticks of memory that I have tried, both in single and dual.

Currently the memory is set to 2.8v in bios and is registering in MBM5 as 2.86v.

Prime95 ran for 24 hours without crashing.

As a separate issue when i try and run all 4 sticks of ram at once, I can get the board to post no problem - but it only registers 1gb instead of 2gb - i also tried with a pair of dual corsair 256mb and the A-Datas - again rather than registering 1.5gb it registered 1gb. Leading me to believe it only pulls from the orange slots when all 4 memory strips are plugged in. CTC is disabled which i believe is the equivalent of 2t. Anyway - this is secondary to the crashing issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks :)

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you overclocking your CPU? I couldn't tell from your post or signature.

Looks like your ram is underclocked (200mhz@3448) so that shouldn't be an issue. But if your CPU is overclocked, I would set it to default to try to isolate the issue. Also, did you check your BIOS temperature shutdown thresholds?

Guest thespin

Under PC Health in your bios, you may need to up (or disable) the cpu temperature at which the system will shut down ..

Guest thespin

Well since Prime95 runs fine, I would suspect possibly the video card which Prime doesn't stress but games do. Try a different video card ....

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, finally managed to get my hands on a brand new replacement gfx card.

Unfortunately, within 16 minutes of playing a 3d game, the pc had shut off again as if someone had pulled the power cord.

I also did a clean reinstall with windows xp x64 and that crashed within 5 minutes of running a 3d game.

I've tried replacing the motherboard while using the same rig, complete reinstall with an asus-a8n sli - same problem that the pc crashed with 5mins to 30mins of 3d gaming.

So i've eliminated motherboard, graphics card, memory, hard drives, sound card - I guess i'm down to PSU or CPU?

Any ideas? Thanks

Hey Ralphie, you have the almost the same psu as me..

i have the 530w: http://www.tagan.com/pages/products/easyco..._tg530_u15.html

i just discovered that there is a switch on the back of the psu which can be set to combine or split.

combine = 33a on a single 12v rail

split = max 20a on each of two 12v rails

it was set to split - which could explain why it was crashing as i read the 7800gt+ needs 26a at least.

however i set it to combine and it still crashed within 10mins of a 3d game. :(

is it really possible that a brand new tagan psu has a fault like this?

Unfortunately finding an alternative psu to test is going to be tricky, but the obvious next step.

I have plugged all 4 sockets in on my mobo, i have set the psu to combine and have the pci-ex attached via one of the blue cable slots. Is there anything else i need to do psu-wise to make sure it should work properly?

thanks for your help

There were none.

As far as the system is concerned there was no crash.

When I power on the system after one of these hard crashes - there is no error message (i.e. your computer has recovered from a serious error).

I think this is more a hardware fault than a software one, especially since i reinstalled onto a clean boot and installed the minimum drivers and software and it shutdown in 3dmark 2006 within 10mins.

When you ran memtest did you run it for like hours? Or just a pass or two? And which test, or did you simply let it run all test? If so set it to run test #5 for atleast 10 passes(but perferably a few hours.

It sounds more like a memory issue than a PSU issue. Even though it passed Prime.

Esspecialy since you have already changed GFX cards

Memtest was run for a few passes rather than a few hours. I will set it to #5 and get it to loop for a few hours and see what happens.

Thanks for the advice :D

Do you think that split / combine thing could have had any relevance to the problem?