Need your approval!

old_geekster

http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merchant2/m...tegory_Code=OCZ

2GB (2 X 1024) DDR (500) PC-4000 OCZ EL Gold Gamer Ext. XTC (OCZ5002048ELGEGXT-K)

(PC-4000 is DDR500)

$215.88 - $30 rebate

Note, opteron works just fine in the DFI boards. Although it may not be officially supported, trying to get any support outside of these forums may be difficult.

I am puzzled about one thing. From what I have read, DFI doesn't support the Opty.

DFI doesn't "officially" support them, however, as you can see throughout the forums, many members are using them without any problems.

I changed my sig considerably and would like some constructive criticism.

I have two major questions:

1) With the setup I have listed, will I be able to OC the CPU to 2.8 MHz with air-cool?

2) What is the best cooler for this processor?

Thanks!

That is a very nice selection of parts you have picked out. I cant help you with the OC question, But I dont think you are going to have to worry about performance with that setup. There are many good heat sinks out there but I like the SI-120 W/120x35mm panaflow fan(H1BX). I am not familure with your case design, I hope it has good air flow because those parts are going to generate a lot of heat. Hope this helps, good luck.

There's no guarantee about the overclockability of a cpu. The 4400+ is a 2200 MHz cpu, most report OC's to 2500, 2600 & 2700. 2800 is a little high, and cooling becomes an issue at 2700. You might want to consider the opteron 165, and save $130 instead. The overclockability will be the same, the core is the same, the cache is the same, etc. Really the only difference in what you are considering is the multiplier (9x to 11x) and the name. The opteron also supposedly uses better silicon, for server grade cpus. I don't know what that means, i'd have to see real world data and also comparisons on that. Still with my own experiences with the 165 I heartily recommend it. Now I did have a problem where the memory dividers did not work on my board, but that had nothing to do with the cpu.