Strange Boot Problems

I would have normally throught the same way as you, 88xj, if my power supply were giving me similiar problems with my previous LP Expert board. My previous board had random boot and USB issues. With this RMA, I haven't been seeing too many problems, besides the strange boots.

Earlier in the day, I stripped the computer down to the essentials, and I still had all the same problems. More than anything, reseating some of the components gave me the most stability.

I almost forgot about disabling the splash, until you reminded me :D

lol, good question RGone. So far, my movies cause no problems, and nor do any other sound applications. I am still getting random restarts while in games with SLI (not the frequency out of range). However, I do not get any error messages (even with Windows setup to not auto restart). Now, I am starting to wonder if my power supply may be underpowering my Expert while under heavy loads. :nod:

Haha, I removed my second 7800GTX and the problem went away immediately (both problems). I will be switching out the two cards to see if one is damaged or malfunctioning. Otherwise, this problem goes beyond any normal problem.

Note: I did notice that the Expert reports that the 5V cable is underpowered (4.1V). I am considering getting a more stable/clean power supply, and better cooling for the video cards to avoid unacceptable heat with the chipset.

lol, good question RGone. So far, my movies cause no problems, and nor do any other sound applications. I am still getting random restarts while in games with SLI (not the frequency out of range). However, I do not get any error messages (even with Windows setup to not auto restart). Now, I am starting to wonder if my power supply may be underpowering my Expert while under heavy loads. :nod:

Check this thread ... it may be a 12/07 BIOS issue. Angry is checking it out now.

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread...&highlight=Boot

I'm having boot problems similar to yours. First time the board booted and I loaded optimized configuration.

I then ran MemTest on the memory for 2 cycles. Both test cycles were successful ... no MemTest errors.

When I hit the ESC key to reboot my PC, it would not boot.

Very wierd.

I did NOT change the SLI setting in the BIOS from X16 even though there are two cards in the motherboard because I wanted to test and load everything from the card in PCIe 1.

I'm going to pull the second 7800 GTX card out of the x16 PCIe 2 and see what happens.

I'm not using the 12/07 BIOS anymore. I used that on my previous Expert board, but I decided that it wasn't the best BIOS for SLi (obviously). My concerns lie within the random reboots while using SLI in games/3D applications on the 11/02 BIOS.

I have a new PSU and better cooling for my video cards on the way; however, it would be horrible for me to learn that all the money was wasted.