3DMark 05 fails 06 runs?

timmorris

I ran 2 copies of Prime 95 (via Stress Prime) overnight for 8 hours at 245MHz FSB with FSB/DRAM divider set to 1/2 to determine max CPU speed.

3DMark 05 won't run at anything faster than 220MHz (it drops out after the first test) but all other stress tests I've tried run fine including 3DMark 06.

I'm using 81.98 drivers for the GPU and haven't installed the second card yet - it only arrived today and I want to establish max RAM and CPU values before I start playing with the graphics cards.

Any ideas? My first thought is that it could be a bad install of 3DMark05 so I'm redownloading (fastest server I could find is at 115kb/s so it will take a while), but why does it run at 220MHz and not at 230 and all the other 3DMark benches run without issue?

Tim

As high as you can get it.

Use rivertuner, and knock it up 10mhz on memory and core, then run a video stress test.

My favourite is the Valve one on CSS or HL2, as it only takes 5 minutes, and you will notice if your gpu cannot handle it immediately.

Keeping upping 10mhz, then run the test, and if you see any errors on the screen (black polygons) then drop back down.

Then you're safe.

I think the problem was due to chipset voltage - I've increased it to 1.65V and I can now run 3DMark05 without any problems. I think it has solved a problem that I was having transferring large (30Gb) video files to a LaCie HD using USB 2.0 too. I've spent the best part of three days zeroing in on Max CPU speed while keeping the CPU volts as low as possible. What I have noticed is that tiny changes in voltage are enough to make the difference between passing and failing a prime test with this CPU. I'm a noob when it comes to this chipset and CPU combo, but I've been overclocking for 10 years now. My last iteration (with DRAM still set to 1/2 FSB) failed after 2 minutes at 11x247 with the voltage set to 1.54. I'm now running at 1.544 and it is 18 minutes in. It is also running cooler than it was at 245x11 @ 1.55V

I put together a simple spreadsheet showing all the Vcore and percentsge options that made it easy to make small changes.

I've got HL2. How do I run the stress test?

Tim