karaKRAP

so my audio's not working at all. this is right after a fresh build. all the drivers are updated, everything's plugged in, and everything's turned on, i've tried more than one set of speakers and headphones. winamp shows the mp3's playing, but i can't hear nothin. i'm thinkin of buying a standalone sound card and hooking it up, do i have to uninstall or disable any sound settings?

if you choose a card such as a Creative Audigy 2 or X-Fi (extremely nice card btw), make sure you uninstall the realtek driver, go into the BIOS and disable the onboard audio, and physically remove the module from the board.

I didn't even install the KaraKrap audio, I don't trust proprietary audio solutions.

You can leave the chip in the board and it won't affect a thing. I have that installed as well as my M-Audio because I like having the headphone jack up front sometimes, have never had an issue with it.

Have you checked to see what audio device is being used when you to to the sound an audio devices section in the control panel?

so i just uninstalled realtek and the drivers, when i open the sound devices it still shows nvidia® nforce audio codec interface. i want to make sure that when i plug in my new card that it's not gonna interfere with anything else. would i be hurting anything by uninstalling it?