Need memory help on DFI nF4X Infinity Socket 754

Wordy

I will be buying this mboard and using my athlon64 and my current ram: Patriot Signature pc3200 2x512 dimms, i wondered if i can buy a 1 gig dimm and it will work in this mboard. I have heard the third slot may not work so i dont know. Would be buying this one gig stick: Patriot Signature 1GB 184-Pin DDR please help if you can thanks

Guest Dynamic

Either stick with the memory you have for DUAL CHANNEL OPERATION or buy another kit of the same memory 2x512 and put them in the other two slots for 4x512 dual channel memory. Do not add a third memory to these DFI boards, not a wise decision, my friend...good luck.....

From what I understand, there are some potential problems with what you are intending to do.

#1 Mixing memory sticks that may vary in size, density, chip maker or speed, even from the same manufacturer can cause problems in the POST sequence or even reliability issues in windows. Your mileage will vary. You might be lucky and have no issues at all.

#2 Using all of the memory slots in your motherboard usually has the consequence of reduced speed settings depending on the chipstet/board. The BIOS will usually reduce the memory speed from 400Mhz to 333Mhz and also reduce the command rate from 1T to 2T.

#3 The NF4X-X manual indicates that multiple memory sticks, unless they all are single sided, will cause the memory to run at 333Mhz instead of 400Mhz. This is easily adjustable in the BIOS though, by taking it off of the AUTO setting and selecting 400Mhz manually.

Not sure of your options, but I would recommend buying a pair of 2x1Gb sticks and selling your old set to someone if at all possible. Especially so if you want top performance and or overclock your machine at all.

I am very happy with this board!

what was mentioned in the post above, especially statement #1, rang true for me. i could not get my TwinMos PC3200 to work at their rated speeds even at 2T. i found a way to copy the SPD dump from one stick to the other and this cured the speed issue but not the 2T thing yet. my 2 512mb sticks didn't come as a dual channel kit so it's possible my issues are due to slight vairations in the mfg process.

• 1 month later...
From what I understand, there are some potential problems with what you are intending to do.

#1 Mixing memory sticks that may vary in size, density, chip maker or speed, even from the same manufacturer can cause problems in the POST sequence or even reliability issues in windows. Your mileage will vary. You might be lucky and have no issues at all.

#2 Using all of the memory slots in your motherboard usually has the consequence of reduced speed settings depending on the chipstet/board. The BIOS will usually reduce the memory speed from 400Mhz to 333Mhz and also reduce the command rate from 1T to 2T.

#3 The NF4X-X manual indicates that multiple memory sticks, unless they all are single sided, will cause the memory to run at 333Mhz instead of 400Mhz. This is easily adjustable in the BIOS though, by taking it off of the AUTO setting and selecting 400Mhz manually.

Not sure of your options, but I would recommend buying a pair of 2x1Gb sticks and selling your old set to someone if at all possible. Especially so if you want top performance and or overclock your machine at all.

I am very happy with this board!

Can u please be specific on how to manually set the memory from 333 to 400 im having problems with my corsair valueselect 2*512

Enter the BIOS

choose Genie BIOS

Dram Configuration

Timing Mode, Change from Auto to Manual

Memclock Index Value (MHZ) set to 200 CPU : DDR 1:1

save and exit

when it posts again, it should display the correct speed