OH BOY!!! I just made the leap...

GonzoDamon

I apologize if I rant or am in any manner incoherent, I just made the great leap into computer building.

It has been months since I decided I wanted to invest in a new system and weeks since I have been heavily researching for this build. After hours upon hours of reading everything I could to get a better understanding of where I would be going, I finally made my first purchase.

Unfortunately, I still hadn't made up my mind on exactly what processor or motherboard I wanted at 11:30pm tonight. The threethings that I knew for sure was that I wanted a DFI motherboard, an eVGA 256mb video card, and an AMD X2 processor. Well, it just so happens that NewEgg decided to run a one day sale to force expedition on my decision.

There I was, at around 11:50pm, with 10 minutes left to make a decision while the one day sale still lasted. Thankfully, I had made at least one of these decisions with certainty - I would go with the DFI LP UT nF4 SLi-DR Exp motherboard. However, the larger two decisions loomed. Do I go lower and more affordable to the AMD X2 4200 with the eVGA 7800 GT or do I go higher with the sale on the AMD X2 4400 with the eVGA 7800 GTX? With sweat starting to make the situation worse (no lie, seriously, this is a big decision to make with A LOT of money invloved), I had 5 minutes left to decide. Finally, I bit the bullet and went with the one day sale on the AMD X2 4400 w/ eVGA 7800 GTX!! (haha, now I can change my sig to these three new parts...)

My heart is still pounding, and hopefully I made a decision that I can be happy with. Now, I just need to make the rest of my selections. This is where I would like some input, please. Right now, these are the other parts that I am considering:

Memory:OCZ 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Platinum System Memory

--->shoot, I missed the $45 sale on this kit (ended at 12:00PM)

PSU:OCZ PowerStream OCZ520ADJSLI ATX, BTX, SATA, P4 and EPS12V 520W Power Supply 100~120Vac / 200~240Vac 10/6a

Sound Card:CREATIVE LABS SOUNDBLASTER AUDIGY2 ZS GAMER PCI LIMITED EDITION

---->MWave has a $50 rebate on this one (exp 2/7/06)

OS:Microsoft Windows XP Professional w/sp2 #E85-03014(DSP/OEM)*Must be Purchased w/Hardware

---->not sure about this...suggestions?

Case: really not sure about this, but I'm leaning towards this one at the moment: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16811146018

NZXT LEXA-NP Black/ Silver Aluminum ATX Mid Tower

If anyone has any input or suggestions, I would really appreciate it. The funny thing about this is that after doing research and talking to friends, I decided I wanted a DFI mobo. Making that decision drastically changed the course of this build. Before I knew the extent of the board's intracacies, it was just part of a build that I had put together on paper totaling around $1700. After research, and the VERY LARGE decision to stick with a DFI mobo, the build had to center around the desires of the mobo. Having to get memory that the DFI would accept and a PSU that would plug into the DFI and have the umph to support it, raised the total cost of the project up much higher. (Before, I was going to go with Kingston RAM and the PSU that came w/ the Aspire X-Navigator case.)

I just find it funny that if you have the gusto and knowledge to go with a DFI motherboard that everything else must be discriminately taken into consideration.

Well, at least I have the CPU, video card, and the motherboard -- now I just need to wait for my next paycheck and my tax refund to build the rest of this system.

Thank you so very much if you took the time to read this rambling post that went for so long, particularly if you also took the time to respond. I also want to thank all of you in advance for the times that I KNOW that I will need your help in the future once I start putting everything together.

THANKS AGAIN!!

peace, jared

Do I need a CPU cooler (like a Zalman) or a VGA cooler? I heard that the AMD X2s run rather well with their stock coolers, same as with the eVGA 7800 GTX.

Now, I'm just nervous..... is there anything that I'm missing or may need for a healthy system?

check out the tsunami dream, its a beautiful looking case in black, also alot of people here go with the thermalright xp-90 and a panaflo 92mm fan for cpu cooling. it is an awesome performing combo, at sig settings, mine has never gone over 39 degrees celsius at full load 27hrs straight.

Awesome, I actually just built almost the exact same system about two weeks ago, except I went with two evga 6800gs cards in an sli setup. You'll love your new setup. I haven't found the memory that we got to be that overclockable, but I'm still experimenting Congrats...

That's funny! Before I decided on the 7800 GT initially, and in the end went with the 7800 GTX, I was considering two 6800 GS in SLi!! After I did some research at ExtremeTech and Tom's Hardware, it seemed pretty clear that the 7800 would outperform two 6800 GS's. This is according to both sites benchmarks and what-not, although it seems kinda strange. I also went with the one card over the two because of the sale, but mostly because two cards would demand more power.

Still need some memory and PSU suggestions...

Guest thespin

If you bought a motherboard/cpu combo it should come with a cooler installed. If you are buying the mobo separately, get the DFI mobo of the same name but without 'Expert' in the name - it's too new. And also get the Thermaltake XP-90 or SI-120 for cooling if it's not a mobo/cpu combo ...

I think you chose a great set of components. Settle down ... :)

whoops! How did I miss that? I meant to get the mobo/CPU bundle but then I got caught up in a sale they were having. Now I have the DFI LP UT nF4 SLi-DR Expert and X2 4400+ seperate.

Are you saying that it come with a cooler? I have to buy one seperately? I was under the assumption that the AMD chip would come with a cooler fan packages with it?