Lower temps = more effective use of voltage?

Let's say you're trying trying to see how fast you can get your CPU to go, and run into instability.

1. You raise the voltage, and it's stable again - but hotter.

2. Overclock some more, then run into instability again

- repeat until either temps are too high or cant raise volts anymore

So lets say we try this same procedure from the beginning, except instead of the stock HSF switch to water.

My question is, would you still run into instability at the same voltage settings as before (eventhough at lower temps)? In other words, should lower temperatures from watercooling allow you to reach higher CPU clock speeds at a given voltage?

In other words, should lower temperatures from watercooling allow you to reach higher CPU clock speeds at a given voltage?
It does work that way sometimes but honistly hi end air- ie the XP90 is very cloce to water if you dont mind a litle noise.There are larger heatsinks that will let yo stay farly quiet too.

Well.. this is my opinion..maybe wrong..

I think if your cpu is under the normal temps, like 50c~55c or so, that would not hold back the cpu performance.. what I mean is, if your cpu runs out max at a certain clock, and if your cpu temp is about 50c, then that would probably be the limit.. I mean if you connect a water cooler and bring it down to 40c, still I wouldnt think it would go faster..

but if your cpu runs out max around 65c or so, then maybe if you bring it down to 55c by water cooling, it MIGHT go more..

I think as far as the cpu is within the specified temp limits, the temperature will not hold back the performance.. This is what I think.. correct me if i'm wrong..

• 1 month later...
In other words, should lower temperatures from watercooling allow you to reach higher CPU clock speeds at a given voltage?

This is what I've noticed by lowering my temperatures:

- max OC remained the same

- I could reach max OC stability at lower voltages