Disk Read Error?

just got my new mobo after i had to RMA, and i tried to boot up off my old hdd and got this error. i then got my secondary drive, formatted with a windows XP install CD, installed windows, and the same thing happened. ive spent the last hour browsing around a few forums, and i haven't really found an answer (one that i can understand, anyway). all i've learned so far is that it has something to do with sp2 and its all MS's fault =/. any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

OOOH i know exactly what to do. its not a hard drive problem like i thought. its a bios problem. youre running award bio pheonix station 6.00 :) ok go into the bios and go to integrated peripherals (i think) its one of them. one of the options is like hard drive settings. disable anything that has to do with ultraDMA or UDMA. after those are on the disabled mode save and exit and tada! thank me l8tr :)

I had the exact same problem yesterday, tried disabling UDMA, and still nothing, so I had to reformat yet again, but right after that I downloaded the newest BIOS from DFI, and voila! Problem solved...My original BIOS that came with the board was from Jan 2005. This newest one is Nov 2005 I think. THank goodness it was just that.

I must have been stuck with this problem for a good 4 hours. Upgrade your BIOS if you're having the same problem.