Recent Folder, Temp Folder Question

dazz1973

The recent folder I believe contains files you have accessed recently i.e. word documents, excel documents, picutures, you have opened. If you

just copy a file it won't appear in your recent folder thought. Is this correct?

The Temporary Internet Folders stores all the files your browser displays, but I'm unsure what type of files your general Temp folder will hold and why?

Can I delete all the files in the Recent, Temp, and Temporary Internet Files, other than the *ini files.

I was once told only to deletee the *.tmp files from these directories, but that was under Win9x.

Cheers

Dazz

You won't hurt anything by deleting those files. The only thing you will notice is that when you goto webpages your more than likley going to have to enter in your username and password again.

ANd if your on dialup, you will notice that the first time you goto a webpage after deleting those files, it might take awhile. Thats because your InetTemp files directory contains images of websites you have visited. So instead of having to download ALL the images on that webpage AGAIN, your computer just looks in that folder and loads the image, which makes it much quicker. If you have broadband access you won't even really notice the diffrence....but if your stuck @ 56k, that first new visit might be a slow one.

Safe to delete all files, except the *.ini files. I'm on broadband so it's not a problem. What type of files thought does windows store in your 'Temp' folder (i.e. not the temp internet folder).

Dazz