Easy question about S/PDIF connector

I'd like to connect my soundcard's S/PDIF Output to my Audio Receiver's Digital Coaxial Input.

Apparently, S/PDIF and Coaxial Digital are not the same thing. My Digital Coax cable doesn't seem to quite fit into my S/PDIF output. What kind of adapter do I need to make this work?

PS: I'm , of course, using the motherboard's S/PDIF output (I don't have a dedicated soundcard or anything. Haven't bought one in 6+ years).

EDIT:

I still need an answer to this. I have a Digital Coaxial audio cable which SHOULD be the same as SPDIF.

Also, to which port do I connect the cable? There are two of them, one is Yellow and the other is red. I'm trying to get sound OUT of the pc and INTO the audio receiver.

And finally, what settings do I need to modify so that the sound will go through? What if I want to listen to regular sound files with a software player (like itunes)? and what if I want to watch a DVD or other movie with AC3 surround audio?

Please help me out here, I got nowhere else to go!

very interesting I have no problems plugging my spdif into my stereo receiver or my guitar amp I think coax spdif is all the same but it definately has to be a spdif cable. Make sure your not using a composite video cable or rca. What is causing the problem, is the center pin to big/small or is the collar to tight/lose.

I still need an answer to this. I have a Digital Coaxial audio cable which SHOULD be the same as SPDIF.

Also, to which port do I connect the cable? There are two of them, one is Yellow and the other is red. I'm trying to get sound OUT of the pc and INTO the audio receiver.

And finally, what settings do I need to modify so that the sound will go through? What if I want to listen to regular sound files with a software player (like itunes)? and what if I want to watch a DVD or other movie with AC3 surround audio?

1. Plug in your "digital coaxial" audio cable into the yellow port. Make sure digital out is enabled. I have jumpered SPDIF out to use the Realtek chip and so I have to enable SPDIF out in the Realtek control panel.

2. Once SPDIF out is enabled in the Nvidia or Realtek control panel, all stereo signals will be automatically converted to digital out. If you want digital out in your DVD player software, select SPDIF in your player software. This will route the Dolby Digital / DTS signal to your SPDIF jack. Your receiver should recognize it and switch from stereo to 5.1 (and back) automatically.