Cannot get past "disk boot failure, insert system disk"

Last night I connected my computer up for the first time. I did not give any power to my DVD-RW or HDD (only to my floppy drive), since I want to flash the BIOS first. (to support my dual-core) So, I boot up my system, get suprised at how noisy the chipset fan is and enter the BIOS. My floppy drive is detected, and it is set as the first boot-up priority.

So, I boot up now without a floppy disk in the drive. (I have a floppy disk containing the 623-3 BIOS that I wish to flash to). After the screen where it detects your RAM, CPU et all, a message comes up saying "DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER". I insert the floppy disk and press Enter. Then a message says "remove any disks or media. press any key to restart". I can't flash my BIOS.

As far as I can see, I'm in some form on loop. If I power the system on with my HDD's power connected, it just shows the Lanparty splash screen and will not progress from there.

sorry if this post's a little long-winded or unclear.

I managed to flash the BIOS by using the automatic BIOS flasher instead of the other 'manual' flash. But still, the system hangs at the lanparty logo when I boot up with my HDD powered on. Is it possible that I have the HDD connected to the wrong IDE cable? There's a grey, black and blue connector on the included DFI IDE cables, which plugs into the motherboard, and which does my master HDD plug into?

Or is it just hanging because I'm using a maxtor drive; does any Maxtor drive refuse to work at all?

Yes, it does matter. The cable has three connectors. Two are for HDDs and one is for MB.

To id them, you'll note that teh MB connector is on one end and at the other end are two connectors about 6 inches apart. If you have twoo Hdds', one will be master and the other slave. If you have only one drive use jumper and set for CS (Cable Select). The master drive connects to the end connector of the two.

We are all so tied into SATA that we don't always notice that someone is using the the IDE CController connection.