New 120 Gb And A Lot Of Questions

Judas

Time for me to expand my disk space. Just bought a Seagate 7200.7 120Gb with 8 mb buffer. I have my previous 60Gb maxtor which i'm gonna use for some backup and other stuff.

Now I've got some questions. How many partitions should i create on the new 120 Gb? How big should the partition for the OS and program files be? I have some version of partition magic, would that be good enough to do the trick?

How should i place everything: OS, Mp3's, videoclips, games etc...

Any tips to have it all nice 'n fast are more than welcome. Thx

If you are going to be installing the OS on it, then you can partition it then.. you don't need PM.

When I do my systems, this is what I use:

5-10G for OS.

20+G for Program Files

20+G for Games

Some times I also make a 5+G for just downloaded programs, patches, etc.

If you've got music that your going to keep on this drive, you probably want to make a 40+G slice for that.

THx man, that was about the things i was thinking of. So if i instal a program i do it on the program files part. and for games i do it on the games part.? Just wanna make sure cause it's the first time i'm gonna do this all by myself and don't wanna make mistakes.

Now, does it matter how i order the partitions, or just use C for the OS and the rest doesn't matter that much or what?

...and how do i do it? Like disconnect my 60Gb, hook up my 120Gb and do the install and partitioning and after that i hook up the 60Gb again to recover some data and stuff...? Will this work, cause i have now my OS on the C-partition of my 60 Gb maxtor which i used to boot from.

Yeah, i know it's a lot of noobstuff :P

Edited by Judas

Yup.. just install the OS on the C part of your 120G... I usually have D as the programs and E as the games... though you can do whatever you want.

You'll probably want to blow away your 60G drive to avoid any problems. If you have it split into several parts, you can just blow away the C part on it, and you should be good.... though the MBR may still give you some problems.