Memory Recommendation

Lynn

Hi,

I currently have 1gb of OCZ VX PC-4000 memory (using the yellow slots). I am considering adding another 1gb of memory. Although I am not a heavy overclocker, I do enjoy boosting performance occassionally (2.7g/240 runs well with my current setup).

What is the best way to setup 2gb for high performance on my current system? Is it best to sell my current OCZ/VX, or should I add 1 more gb of the same OCZ/VX and fill the orange slots.

Thanks for your help!

personally I would go for 2x1GB modules for less stress on the memory controller, but 4x512 is usually not bad either (see the AMD Overclocking stickies about tight timings and 2T vs 1T etc to see that there's not a lot of difference)

if you have the money, get rid of the VX and move into OCZ 4000EB 2GB or OCZ 4000EL 2GB or OCZ 4000GX 2GB....all of these kits will do 250 (DDR500) and every one I have (and I don't get hand-picked cherry items either) will do 265-280.

The GX kits are really nice because of the new heatspreader design and good timings. The EB has the best timings...any of them are good though (look in the Overclocking Database to see many entries)

if money is a concern, then another kit of VX would work...but I don't like to add a second kit down the road as almost always the mfg has changed a little, and you cant be guaranteed that the VX you own is exactly the same as the VX you will add...there might be nothing wrong with either kit, but when using both kits together...they might not play well (I've seen this with more than a few 2x512 kits and adding another 2x512, regardless of brand/mfg)

looks like you got a real nice rig from your sig...and I just tested a 3800+ with some OCZ GX (its in the Overclocking Database on the last page!) at 250x10 which is faster than a stock 4800+ except only half the cache on each core heh...ok I'll shut up now ;)

I've linked AndyOCZ to this thread too so he might reply

Hi,

I had not thought about the contoller and other issues you mentioned (like VX revisions).

I think I will go with the GX since you have had a good experience using it, and post the VX on ebay. What voltage were you using on the GX?

Thanks very much for the advice.

Lynn