Does such a cable exist?

I'm interested in taking my DFI UT-Ultra D board and EVGA 7800GT and modding them into an old time 60's Samsonite briefcase. I'll need to find a way to connect my EVGA card parallel or adjacent to the motherboard (instead of plugged in in perpendicular fashion to the board). Plugged in the card+mobo is too tall to fit into the briefcase where it can close.

Anyone make a cable with a PCI X16 (?) female (plugs onto the EVGA card) on one end to PCI X16 Male (to plug into the motherboard) on the other end? It would need to be about a foot long to give me plenty of room. Does such a beast exist?

Any information or suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!

TIA,

NAR

------

DFI LP UT nF4 Ultra-D Opteron 175 Stock Cooler/FanSeagate Sata160GB

2Gb PC4000PC MemoryPC Power&Cooling 510SLI PSU]Windows XP Pro SP2

Guest Milkshake

That sounds pretty cool, although without any knowledge whatsoever in motherboard bus extending etc... wouldn't stretching the bus cause problems? Like in networking if you have too long of a cord it can cause attenuation.

Besides that, I've never heard of an extender before, I'd google it up a bit (you probably already have), you might have to solder extra wires on.

And last, wouldn't heat be a problem? Because your sticking them in such an enclosed area. Are you thinking of adding fans and such?

I personally wouldn't risk a 7800 by extending it, it just doesn't sound like it could work but I could be completely wrong.

Acutally a better Idea, if it wouldn't cause attenuation or white noise etc... is if you grab a pci express slot and solder wires to that then plug ur 7800 into that.

Guest Milkshake

Wow that is awesome, didn't even know they made those. It makes sence though in a server config, you want to squish it in a tight area like rackmounts etc...

Thanks all for your suggestions. Sea Shadow, thanks loads for that link--I think that (or something like it) just might work :)

As an aside, I've asked this question on multiple boards with no luck--this DFI forum is AWESOME! (one of the reasons I bought a DFI mobo (instead of Asus))

Thanks again,

Nik

• 3 weeks later...

So after you mount the vid card in some awkward position, how would you get the connections to the outside? Like the DVI hookup...

I wanna do this in a normal tower so that I could see the cool looking XFX 7800gt instead of it looking at the floor...

Also would it hurt performance at all?

I wanna do this in a normal tower so that I could see the cool looking XFX 7800gt instead of it looking at the floor...

Also would it hurt performance at all?

I can't imagine a few inches would hurt anything, especially since they'll all be the same length so any delay will be equal to all parts of the card.