DUAL Memory mode not working

Hi there

I have not been able to get my machine stable in dual memory mode. I have exactly identical memory and have placed them in all 4 slots to add up to a total of 2GB mem. The BIOS recognises it fine but the OS freezes after about 10 mins. No system errors are recorded in the event logs.

System works fine when memory is in slots 3 and 4.

Any ideas?

Not familiar with your board but I am familiar with Intel chipsets so I'll try to help. Does your board have the option to disable PAT? If not it was probably disabled automatically when you filled all 4 dimm slots. Next option is to disable CPC. All but one Intel rig I have run I had to disable CPC when 4 sticks were in it.

Memory voltage is at 1.8000 V

Any suggestions as to how much the voltage should be raised by or by what increments?

Cheers for the reply Ace, I was starting to despair a little as to whether anyone was going to respond :)

And thanks to CPDMF for the same reason!

I have purchased some Vantec Heat Spreaders and installed them on the Ram. I have also tried upping the voltage to the 2.5V max allowed and all inbetween, system does not like anything above 2.3V.

System works fine when any of the memory is in the 3 & 4 slots, I'd even go so far as to say that it is reasonably stable. The moment you fill all the slots with 512 Dimms the system boots up, and runs until you put stress on it. It then freezes without errors.

No messages in the Error Logs either.

This is starting to do my head in, something like memory working on a system board should be a fairly fundamental thing. There must be something that I am doing wrong.

Current memory settings are the default with the error correction set to Non-ECC (shouldn't be an issue) I can't actually see anywhere in the BIOS to alter the memory timings.

PC will not run for any reasonable amount of time now. It will operate ok for about an hour and then completely freezes out. If there is any real load put on it, i.e. burning a DVD it will generally freeze out sooner. :confused:

I think it is getting close to time to give up and buy a different MoBo, I can't get anything remotely resembling stability on this one let alone get on to overclocking which was my original intent. :confused: