HDD not Detected during install

Hi Everyone and Merry Christmas :)

I saw a link in ninjastyle's signature over at the AMD forum and here i am.

Anyway I have a NF2 Ultra Infinity, and I am trying to install a nlited copy of windows but when it begins the setup it says "no hard drive connected"

I am just wondering can my mobo install to a single SATA Drive or is the SATA just for Raid.

I never had to install windows on this PC before because it was setup out of the box ( I picked the parts and the shop installed them)

It has been booting from the SATA Drive since i got it, but i cant install to it

Maybe the had to put the HDD into a different PC to install windows?

Any Help would be greatly appreciated as SANTA is Bringing a 6800gt and i want to game ASAP

Thanks

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Single SATA or SATA RAID should both work, if all is setup properly, installed correctly and with the right drivers and etc.

You may need to spend some time looking into how to install the version of Windows, or whatever OS (operating system) you'd be wanting to install, on a SATA drive.

It looks like you have internet access so you may want to look around in this forum, or other forums using the search function, or even do some search engine searching (like Google or whatever you like to use), and even checking out Microsoft's website might help. Unsure on the last one, though, never tried looking at MS's website for that info.

You need a floppy with the sata drivers on it, I dn how they are setup on the floppy, but the orignal box came with one for this.

Right at the begining of the windows install it'll ask you if you want to install any 3rd party raid or scsi controllers, and to press I think it's F6(not sure but you'll see it).

You need to doit ;), and have the floppy for all that.

I would assume having an unextracted sata driver on the floppy with inf and such will do the trick, but I'm not totally sure.

It wuold be worth a shot, or find the disk, or check up on dfi's website for dl's like that I dn.

There's a way to intergrate the sata drivers into windows but I never did it before so I coud'nt tell you.

I'm not sure if i should create a new thread for this, but I have a similar problem.

I already have Windows XP installed on a PATA drive (see sig), and I am adding a Samsung SATA II drive (HD160JJ), with jumper set to SATA I speeds. I cannot get windows to detect this drive; in the Device manager the drive is not listed the "Desk drives" portion, and in "Disk Management" it is also not visible. It is shown by the SI bios when booting up though. I have set all the options in the BIOS to SATA and not SATA-RAID. I have tried fresh installs of windows, pressing F5 for ACPI PC and F6 for SI 3114 non-RAID driver (note: even after installing the SATA drivers, the SATA drive is not visible for install, even though I am installing windows to my existing PATA drive). I have also tried installing the official DFI and SI non-RAID drivers with no success; I have also tried the drivers from Windows Update, but I have no idea what kind of drivers it installs, and it does not work as well. Thanks in advance :)

Miracler which version of Sata drivers are you installing? I.e 1.0.0.8 ????????

I initially installed 1.2.0.5 non-RAID drivers from the Silicon Image site, and because Windows still could not see the drive I tried windows update, which installed drivers with version 1.3.9.0 dated 11/29/2005

Hmmm i think they are wrong Sil raid drivers you need either the older 1.0.0.7 or the Tmod modded 1.0.0.8 driver, do a search around here and you should find tmod's. Also the older 1.0.0.7 should be on the Sil sight under the archived data base. I might be wrong but i think that is what most folks run here.

Are you saying that the Sil3114 only works properly with RAID?

I only have a single SATA drive (and PATA drive) and I just want to use it without RAID. That's why I've selected SATA instead of SATA RAID in the bios and used the non-RAID 1.2.0.5 drivers instead of the RAID 1.0.0.8 drivers

I have previously also tried selecting the SATA RAID option, but in the Silicon Image BIOS it won't let me create a RAID set because I only have a single SATA(?) drive.

This is my first SATA drive and I am clueless about setting this up, and it doesn't seem like it's as easy as "plugging in and using" like PATA drives.

If you're wanting to use the SATA drive as your main drive with Windows,

then make sure you don't have HDD-0 or others like HDD-1 and so on listed

as boot devices, and set your first boot device to CDROM (for the Windows CD)

and your second boot device as SCSI (the drive you're going to load Windows on).

Then if you're going to use the SATA-RAID setting for your drive, then just make sure

you use the SATA RAID drivers for that. You wouldn't need to try to setup any type of

array and etc.

If you're wanting to use the SATA setting instead of the other setting for your drive,

then just make sure you're using the SATA Link drivers (non-RAID) for the drive when

you load Windows.

If the hard disk does not show even after the proper SATALink drivers have been loaded, then is it possible that the hard disk is bad, even though it is detected in the bios and the RAID bios can perform a low level format on it as well?

Miracler,

If you can perform a low-level format on the drive successfully, then I'd think the drive would be okay.

I could be incorrect on that, but if you're able to access the drive and format it, then it works..?

How familiar are you with loading Windows on add-in IDE/SCSI/RAID/SATA/SATA-RAID controllers,

or ones that are onboard but need additional drivers installed? Are you missing something

that you ought to be paying attention to, whether in the BIOS configuration and/or with and when

you're installing Windows and drivers and etc?

It sounds like you're missing something basic with installing, or the adding of an additional drive.

I've experienced the same thing myself and when I've installed drives on a RAID or SATA-RAID

controller before.