4x512 ddr 4000 or 2x1024 ddr 4000

fear13

4x512 ddr 4000 or 2x1024 ddr 4000 which would be a better setup.

If i get 4x512 i would get geil ultra series

if i get 2 x 1024 i would be getting the ocz gold gamer extreme.

(what im mainly wondering is if there are any downsides to running 4x 512)

if u run 4x512, you will have to run 2T which is about a 3-10% performance hit depending on which application....also 4 sticks will significantly increase the work the mem controller has to do, thus probably shortening the life of your chip and limiting any OC you may want.

I'd go 2x1gb....the OCZ is good memory....checkout the mem in my sig too....only $199 at the egg.

I went with 4X512 simply for the reason that 2X1024 was not readily available at the time of purchase. I was probably about 6 months ahead of these chips, and they were still pretty expensive. 4X512 can be a bit trickey as small variations in each bank can affect stability/performance. For example I had to manually bench each stick, and then run them dual channel in pairs to find the optimal configuration. Also had to run 2T, which is a slight trade-off in performance, but much more stable. Still though I got really good results if you are willing to spend the time, see my sig.

Also I think this affected my OC, as I am pretty sure my memory configuration is limiting me. I am waiting on 2 sticks of OCZ EL Gold right now, to find out if this is true. If you are not looking for a wicked OC, and don't mind spending a bit more time at it then 4X512 should be fine.

Cheers!