3800+ overclock 4 a DFI noob

Guest Tainted_merged

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm primeing at the moment at 2700 @ 1.62 vcore 1.3 (something) @ 123% cant remember the exact setting for the vcore but its 1.6 in my bios and mbm, any of you manage to hit 2700 under 1.6 on a 10x multi?, I've tried but failed.

Running 4 sticks of my spec ram at agressive timeings fails everytime I think its due to the weak cache wish I would of known this before buying a CPU.

failed as wel, also at 1.62 (which is already way to high) i couldn't get 3DMark to complete either.

Strange stops and drop outs and very weird low score of only 4100.... for me 2.500Mhz (x10) 1:1 is the ultimate sweetspot between power and performance (got DDR500 ram) HT bus is also nice 2000 here with a x4 multiplier.

seems like were in same situation 3d mark passed for me after I upped the vcore when you say the vcore is to high is this down to cooling or you prefer not to run the chip at these volts?

I am aiming for a everyday use at 2700 on a Bigtyphoon my max load never gets over 48oc the room im in is a converted barn and the temperature is enough to have a penguin complain.

you had any problems with your ram and the cache?

Primeing at the moment and im at 40oc with settings above thats not bad for air.

BTW, when you OC, 8 hours Prime95 stable is all that's needed to be considered passable. However, I think you were right the first time Ralphie; I'm not buying the whole, "I get mine to 2.5GHz with only 1.39v....Maybe I just got lucky..." routine! I want to actually see proof that you got your CPU OCed to 2.5GHz on only 1.39v. I want to see screen shots. Sorry Ralphie but I'm not that gullible. I've seen people claim here at DFI-Street that they can get their Venice core OCed by 1GHz on air with fewer than 1.5 volts. YEAH, RIGHT! Then they have no visual proof. If that's the case, eh-um, yeah I got my FX-57 up to 7GHz on air with just 1.42 volts and it is 84 hours Prime95 stable... Give me a break...
Haha...Ok...I don't think that 2.5Ghz is really a stretch at 1.40 volts. My default volt was like 1.29 at 2.0Ghz....I was able to get it to 2.3Ghz with that voltage, but when I moved up to 2.4 and 2.5 I had to boost it up to the present 1.39. BTW...It does fluctuate a little up to 1.42 when I check out the MB5 dashboard when running Prime....2.6 to 2.8 on 1.4 volts, now that's a bit of stretching.

Well I got up at 6am this morning and turned it on, when I left for work at 7:30am it was still running...I guess we will see when I get home...BTW...My apartment gets really cold when I leave as I turn my heat off...And because it is so cold in the city today I don't think I'll have any issues with heat...Not a true test I guess with how my normal environment settings are, but I don't want to turn my heat on for the sake of QA testing and running up a large butt electric bill...LOL

Yeah, “Haha”! That's why you
STILL
have not bothered showing us your “
legitimate
” settings. Can't you show us the
grouped
screen shots to prove all your boasting, or is that
really
all it is?

seems like were in same situation 3d mark passed for me after I upped the vcore when you say the vcore is to high is this down to cooling or you prefer not to run the chip at these volts?.

I don't want the higher voltages through my system, it seems that 2500 streches everythnig just a bit, 2700 feels like an overclock, timings don't feel right (feel forced) not much improvement in benchmarks, way more v needed, etc. etc. hard to explain, but though i would like more speed (i.e. 10x 300 1:1 :D ) everything higher than 2.500 just does not feel smooth anymore.

my 3 main criteria are

1- 10x Multiplier (if i wanted to use a 9, i sohuldn't have bothered for an 3800+)

2- 250Mhz Memory timing (either 250HTT 1:1, or 275 HTT 9/10 or.. whatever timing ends up at DDR5000 > otherwise i could have settled with PC3200)

3- Sensible voltages > i see too many processors being blown and i don't want to burn my chipset either.

Besides that i love the enthousisast part (spend money on aftermarkets like high end PSU cooling fans etc)

But i don't want to spend 2.000 euro on a rig, that i burn in 6 months.

Yeah, “Haha”! That's why you
STILL
have not bothered showing us your “
legitimate
” settings. Can't you show us the
grouped
screen shots to prove all your boasting, or is that
really
all it is?

Dude! I'm not a 10 year old kid trying to show off or anything...In fact I'm new to this overclocking thing altogether...Havn't overclocked my CPU since 1997 when I was actually working for Intel out in Chandler, AZ. LOL...

So I came home early for work since I'm off on vacation next week and Prime 95 was still running the torture test! So I figured around 11 hours is enough justification right?

Here are the pics...We can lay this "legitimate" overclocking to rest! I have to add that the x2 3800+ kicks total butt! No reason for me to have gotten the 4600+ at all!!! And I believe the Opteron 165 is a better value than either the 4400+ and 4600+...At over half the cost too!

This top pic I sorta screwed up on as I pasted it twice in Paint...But it shows the load temps I'm getting on my chip...

b12730426.jpg

This second one is after I turned it off...The normal idle temp is around 32...

b12730459.jpg

Guest Tainted

This is pretty much what I'm going for as my OCZ EL 4000 ram runs great at 2-2-2-8@500mhz. Though not sure if the overclock and those settings will go well together.

I always planned to get the chip and aim for 2.5ghz and 1:1 ram but it's seeming a little hard to achieve. 2.4ghz at 1.4v I can do that no problems.

Will post my stable pics soon at either 2.5ghz or 2.4ghz when I get back home after the weekend.