Really need help with my X2 Overclock!

qwerty69

Hi Lance, thanks for the encouragement. :)

Mine is setup in a corner of my living room which has been designated as a testing area before it moves into my room haha.

I have now backoff to CPU 2610mhz and Ram 580mhz.

(HTT 290 x 9, 1:1)

This has been running dual prime for nearly 4 hours and i hope it can continue to 8 hours or more so i can have at least a stable overclock. Sure hope it works or i'm going crazy. :P

Also i was planning to put a good watercooling setup on this system but now i'm not entirely sure how the w/c will help me other than quietness... Anyway i guess i still need the w/c since my full loads temps are pretty high, 53-60c.

Thanks again man!

Hehe still at it huh? :)

I did about the same as you, for over a week - I had mine setup on the kitchen table with laptop next to it to look stuff up. I didn't even place it into my office until I had decided what speed I was happy with...

I had somewhat similar issues - I could run everything except the HCI memtest for hours upon hours, but that HCI memtest would fail running CPU @ 1.6v at around 2700mhz, 2.9v on the memory. I suspect there may be some stable point up around 2700mhz for me, but I decided to back off to 2600mhz and lower voltages (1.5v/2.7v) and sure enough, all tests including the HCI memtest passed.

In your case, it sounds like prime95 is to you what the HCI memtest was to me. The guy raining on the parade. I'm sure you can find a stable solution close to where you are, but it may take lots more time. If it's going to drive you crazy or make you mad at your nice new system, maybe just back off 75-100mhz and see how it looks there? I mean I thought about the diff between 2500 and 2600 and realized, "hey, thats like 4% - what the hell do I care about 4% for if it's going to cost me another week!" I guess I'm just trying to offer encouragement here, no actual help... :P

Good luck! :)

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi dfx, thanks for the links. :)

I'm now 10 hours dual prime(large ffts) stable at 290 x 9, 1:1.

However HTT 300 will cause one Prime to give an error. (the same 0.4 but 0.5 error...) Using multipliers won't help as well.

I guess it's my core 0 that has heat problems or can't go higher because it's always the one that has error when HTT is 300. My load temps at 1.45v + 110% is 55-60c.

Do you think it will be a good idea to strip the IHS and put this under a Swiftech Storm?

I personally found that my x2 4400 won't do much more than 2850 stable if I pour in 1.7v.

I backed off my overclock to 2750mhz and 1.54v. 250x11

If 150mhz means that much to you I would consider using an aftermarket HSF. But I would try it alone without ripping the IHS off.

These 4400s seem to hit a wall and won't go any further no matter the voltage applied. My loaded temps never get above 16c with thermal electric cooling.

Wow ElDuderino, you have a very nice setup! :nod:

I'm thinking of using dual 3 x 120mm rads in my w/c setup with Storm, MCP655, MCW55.

Hope this can help me hit 2700mhz stable if not some more. I'm also praying i don't have a poor core that can only do 2610 stable. :P

By the way, did you remove your IHS?

I personally found that my x2 4400 won't do much more than 2850 stable if I pour in 1.7v.

I backed off my overclock to 2750mhz and 1.54v. 250x11

If 150mhz means that much to you I would consider using an aftermarket HSF. But I would try it alone without ripping the IHS off.

These 4400s seem to hit a wall and won't go any further no matter the voltage applied. My loaded temps never get above 16c with thermal electric cooling.

lol your bad haha :shake:

Guess i have to seriously consider before putting the knife onto my 4400. :)

Not on this one. I had a bad experience with removing the IHS on an X2 4800...luckily I glued that baby back on and got it RMAd... I'm a baaad person. lol

Hi dfx, thanks for the links. :)

I'm now 10 hours dual prime(large ffts) stable at 290 x 9, 1:1.

However HTT 300 will cause one Prime to give an error. (the same 0.4 but 0.5 error...) Using multipliers won't help as well.

I guess it's my core 0 that has heat problems or can't go higher because it's always the one that has error when HTT is 300. My load temps at 1.45v + 110% is 55-60c.

Do you think it will be a good idea to strip the IHS and put this under a Swiftech Storm?

Dude think about it

Do u seriously need that extra 100Mhz or so?

The extra 100Mhz u earn wouldnt shave off your superpi 1mb by 1s non an increase of 10fps

I agree with DFX. I would leave it where it's at.

What are you loaded and idle temps?

I definately would NOT waste my money watercooling the CPU. You aren't gonna notice the difference. 1% difference. I wouldn't do it.

I am honestly considering selling this mobo and cpu to my bro and getting an FX-57 and do some real overclocking because this X2 is a disappointment.

I don't have my 7800gtxs water cooled but I wish I did.

qwerty69,

Seem like you got the max out of your 4400+ (assume it on air, didn't see any H2O cooling). I don't think it's worth to remove the HS cap. Not that we doubt your skills, but when you want to upgrade next year or so (you know that you will :nod: ) at least you can sell it to re-coup some money back. Think about it.

Besides, your is already stable 10hr prime.

If you need to squeeze out more then thinking about a nice H2O or phase change cooling.

Just my 2cents

Regards.

You might see about 13% difference with phase change. But hey way to go! I wish I just had air cooling right now. Aesthetically the UV fluid and tubing is pleasing though. But that's about the only benefit on these X2s. :nod:

Maybe you could cool that video card off with water.

I woke up today and ran Dual Prime(large ffts) on the same 290 x 9, 1:1 but it crashed within 30mins. This was stable for 12 hours yesterday... :confused:

Reboot, checked all settings are correct and running again now. I hope the error was a fluke.