new 640

had it for 2 days, received it on october 26th

i believe it's the cpu, my 520 works with my current hardware configuration...only thing left and/or is different is the 640....when i get home, i am going to try to install windows on a regular ide hard drive

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

actually i do know someone, but it won't be until next week ( sunday at the earliest ) before i can get a chance to try it out....i just put my 520 back in and installed windows first thing this morning...without a hitch

before that, i tried re-installing windows for a 3rd time with the 640 and after the system wants to reboot after copying some files, i usually get back into the bios to change the boot order back to hard disk from cd and after i did that, i got the windows splash screen and the "39 minutes remaining" and then i get the BSOD with "memory management" at the top

ACE,

i just thought of something else i could try...i have a clean windows install on the computer with my DFI & 520 cpu...i am wondering if it would help to install the intel chipset driver named "INF_XP2K_MCE_XP64_7.2.2.1006" and then replace the cpu with the 640

i went ahead and did that...set bios defaults...rebooted and entered bios again to set the bios for my raid0.

rebooted and installed hardware drivers without a glitch...no random lockups/reboots during this time.....i observed the computer at idle for about 20 minutes before i had to leave for work...again, no lockups/reboots and i left it on...i usually get back home at around 630am pacific...

my computer...properties

- shows a 3.2 ghz cpu

cpu-z

- shows it as a 640, but as a 2800 mhz under the core speed with a multi of 14

- also shows a vcore of 1.24

DFI's hardware Doc

- shows same 1.24 vcore

bios

- set to 16 multi and 1.36 vcore

strange.....

the computer did not lockup or reboot during the night....but when i was setting up "xp anti-spy" and went to apply changes, it rebooted...so i went into the bios and disabled C1E and execute data bit?

i tried to copy a folder from a cd to my documents and it rebooted in the middle of the transfer....went into the bios and raised the vdimm from 2.6 to 2.8

here i am

i am about to run dual prime and 3dmark01 at stock speeds

When you say vcore= 1.36v is that what it is set to in the BIOS or what cupz reports?

Reason I ask is my 875p-t undervolts. My bios is set to vcore= 1.425v, cupz reports 1.360 to 1.380 under load.

If the cpu is undervolted you can have stability problems.

Try increasing the vcore in the BIOS to whatever gets you closest to 1.36v under load as reported by cupz, run two instances of prime95 and report your results here.

Good luck.

after i disabled C1E and the execute disable bit, cpu-z reported 1.36 vcore and the proper speeds....i just contacted the seller and he will exchange it, but there's still time before monday to try increasing the vcore...i didn't know about checking vcore under load....i'll give it a shot tomorrow