new 640

i just recieved my new 640, upgraded from a 520.

at first i just swapped cpu's and had a horrible stability problem, the system would reboot after a couple minutes into windows....so, i cleared the cmos and that improved it dramatically.....afterwards, the system locked up a couple times when trying to use my normal programs, like avast and spysweeper. also got an rpc error on avast. the last thing i did before going to work was clicking on nero and it rebooted the system.

should i do a fresh windows install?

should i disable any bios settings?

i am running the 6/27 bios, should i update to the 9/22?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In normal instances, you shouldn't have to do anything to the O/S or the BIOS when swapping out a single-core CPU with a singel-core CPU. However, with the type of errors you are getting, a reinstall of the O/S seems to be in-order. But, before doing that, try the following first:

- check all cables and make sure they are properly seated. Don't just push them in as that method may not fully work. Remove then reseat each cable.

- The 09/22/05 BIOS is supposed to better support newer CPUs so I would recommend upgrading to it. After flashing, make sure you set BIOS defaults before booting. I am still testing it myself but haven't encountered any problems so far.

- After performing the above step and rebooting, change the following settings:

--Genie BIOS Setting:

---Set Asynch AGP/PCI CLK to 66/33

---Change Autodetect PCI CLK to Disabled

---Change Spread Spectrum to Disabled

--Advanced Chipset Features:

---Change Init Display First to AGP

---Change Fast Chip Select to Disabled

---Change CPC Addr/Control to Disabled

---Change Selective CPC to Disabled

---Change Soft Patch Mode to Disabled

Let me know what your results are.

i followed your directions and i had a slight initial boot up problem...black screen with pointer/hourglass lock up...restarted and here i am...i probably should dual prime for stability at stock speed settings before i call it good...if i am not mistaken, there is a 64-bit version of prime, should i run that?

edit.... i found my answer...64-bit prime is for 64-bit windows

just before i made this edit, i went into windows explorer and my system rebooted....i think there is something wrong with this cpu

let's review

swapped out 520 for this new 640, immediately got problems in the form of random reboots and lockups

cleared cmos and set everything to fail-safe...rebooted and it improved the stability a lot, but still had a few reboots and lockups

i did a norton ghost restore that i made on october 15th...still had the reboot/lockup problem

i tried to re-install windows 2x, once yesterday and once early this morning and got BSOD's both times.

i followed your directions on updating the bios and i made those changes....i got one reboot before i had to go to work..powered down for the night

i just sent a message to the ebay seller about what's happening and he suggests that i look at my memory and hard drive.....wd raptors are built to last, mine are still going strong and my memory has not seen an inkling of an overclock, yet. if it was either of those, i wouldn't be able to reinstall windows on my 520 cpu, which i did 2 weeks ago.