Did I Kill It?

I wanted to install a 6600GT on my, up to now, friend's computer, something that I've done many times. Uninstalled, used driver pro. When we ran Far Cry, the picture was horrid. Realized that I had forgotten to plug in the molex connector. Then I did a really stupid thing. Plugged it in without shutting down the computer. I immediately died. The only sign of power on hitting the power switch was the LEDs for the LAN. No fans, no lights, nothing. I jumped the power supply using leads 4 & 6 on the ATX connector, all the fans etc came on. Once I reconnected the ATX connector, no power to computer, except for the LAN LED.

Did I fry the motherboard?

No you can use a card you want.

Only Motherboard drivers are making problems.

Different GFX Cards will be shown as Standard VGA device if no driver for this card is installed.

In addition, using another card would probably corrupt my Windows Install, as I haven't uninstalled the drivers, true?

if u use an nvidia card u will be ok

if not...try to boot in safe mode just to see if the mobo is fine

btw...what was going through your mind.....i know $h!t happens.... i am not bashing u.... i done a lot of silly mistakes myself....most of them with a few drinks on my head.....but plug a molex with the rig running...

i hope i didnt fry the whole thing.......cam u rma the vga at least?

good luck

if u were not so far away i could borrow u a vga card

lets hope for the best

;)

Even if the card was fried, wouldn't it turn on and attept to post?

Normally if theres a problem with the Video Card you'd get 1 long & 2 short beeps to indicate there was an issue. But still, you can't 100% say the board is fried until you've tested everything else out such as trying a new Video Card and a different PSU. I've had a blown PSU that has still continued to supply the motherboard with some power to light the led's, even though it was bust and wouldn't actually power the board up.

Also closely examine the board for any signs of damage.

Normally if theres a problem with the Video Card you'd get 1 long & 2 short beeps to indicate there was an issue. But still, you can't 100% say the board is fried until you've tested everything else out such as trying a new Video Card and a different PSU. I've had a blown PSU that has still continued to supply the motherboard with some power to light the led's, even though it was bust and wouldn't actually power the board up.

Also closely examine the board for any signs of damage.

Understood, but, as I said, when I jumpered the PSU it started up all the fans, lights, etc.

He has a FX 5500 of some type. Maybe we'll try that. We could probably avoid any problems with drivers by going into safe mode.

Shouldn't be any major problems with drivers anyway Capt. It should have no problems posting which is all you really want to do, and Windows should load the default drivers for it when Windows loads.

Well good luck. Hopefully the board is fine. It isn't sounding good from what you say, but you never know...

Bad news :( Oh well, if i was him i'd take the opportunity to make an upgrade to A64 ;) You can get em just as cheap as a Socket A these days and they're easier to find than another one of these nForce2 DFI's...

The LanParty NF3 UT 250GB is a very decent board and very cheap, cheaper than the LanParty B at a lot of places i've seen in fact. Here in the UK anyway.