dfi-street type boards for abit/asus?

Guest Grader_merged

Yea, I know it doesn't meet the "minimum specs" :( , but with only 1 stick of 512 RAM, 1 CPU, 1 CPU fan, and 1 PCI (not even PCIe) video card (can't use more than a couple of watts), I still can't believe that 430 watts isn't enough to get past the 4 red LEDs. I have an Enermax 565 on order (535 watts) so we will see......

It is not the watts that is the problem, it is the initial power peak. Both the NF3 and NF4 have a higher than usual initial power peak than some older PSUs are designed to handle. My older Antec TP430 takes a while of warming up before it will boot my motherboard.

You are never just booting the cpu and memory you have tones of features that people now consider nessary. 2 LAN ATA and SATA PCIX and pci connectors that and the fact that most of the power on old PSU's are on the 12 and 5V line and the new Boards and Vcards use most of it on the 12 volt line..

I tried to get the recomended PSU for the Asus but there site is down again or just doesnt like Firefox. My friend has a Asus many of his problems went away when he got a up to date PSU though he eventualy had to RMA his Vcard even though the temps were OK per monitor.

Yea, I know it doesn't meet the "minimum specs" :( , but with only 1 stick of 512 RAM, 1 CPU, 1 CPU fan, and 1 PCI (not even PCIe) video card (can't use more than a couple of watts), I still can't believe that 430 watts isn't enough to get past the 4 red LEDs. I have an Enermax 565 on order (535 watts) so we will see......

Well I have learned my lesson - never doubt the wisdom on dfi-street. :nod: I got the Enermax 565 and the DFI board works fine with it - got into the BIOS last night. However, my Seasonic S12-430 works fine with the Asus A8N-SLI Premium board - also got into the BIOS last night. So it looks like the problem is with the Seasonic and DFI.

Well I have learned my lesson - never doubt the wisdom on dfi-street. :nod: I got the Enermax 565 and the DFI board works fine with it - got into the BIOS last night. However, my Seasonic S12-430 works fine with the Asus A8N-SLI Premium board - also got into the BIOS last night. So it looks like the problem is with the Seasonic and DFI.

I think it is more that newer DFI motherboards aren't as tolerant to voltage fluctuations.

Getting into bios does not a smooth running computer make.

Everything I read test wise is good concerning the seasonic it is a true shame there is a fly in the ointment making them not work so well with the DFI.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article261-page3.html I bet it is just a power up issue or somthing of the sort after start up the rairs reported stable.

Getting into bios does not a smooth running computer make.

Yea, I know. But it sure beats not getting into the BIOS at all, which was my previous situation. :nod: I have a lot of work left, but this is a start in the right direction.