Iceburg 1 (yes I Know)

First of all please do not flame me here, I bought this dog before I read all the reviews. I was looking a an inexpensive cooling system, for my 2700+, and it was a toss up between the Iceburg, and TT Models.

Anyway after using the system for about a week!, one of the top nipples broke and shot off like a geyser! I at least had the resevior, and radiator mounted outside the case, but what a mess.

After sending Ahanix about 8 e-mails they first sent me the bottom of the res (wrong piece), then a week later I got the rest of it.

After experiencing and reading about all the issues with the Res, I lined the entire underside of it with aquarium sealant, to avoid the cracking issues, and I have been using it for a couple of weeks now.

The issue I am facing is this Iceburg system really does suck! I have the rad mounted to the outside of the case with the res, and run two fans on the rad, one to push, and one to pull air thru it, and my temps are really not any better than my AMD stock air cooler! 116 -118 F Idle, and 123-131 F load!!

I use Arctic Silver, and have lapped my Heatsink, and the only thing I can think of (Other than is sucks), is I am running the tubing father than the recommended setup calls for. So I think the pump the kits comes with is not pushing as much water as it should?, but ther is NO way I am mounting the Rad, or Res in my case, and taking the chance of drowning my computer!

I have been thinking abount buying a 500 GPH submursiable pump to replace this one, and wonder if I am throwing more of my money away, since the pump that fits the res, runs 25.00.

Any thoughts would be helpfull

Thanks

Rick

I hear you on that one, I bought it too before hearing all the bad things about it. I never had any good luck with it either, except I didn't have anything break on it though. I don't really think its the pump, the two things I suspect are the radiator and the waterblock being the biggest problems with this kit. You can maybe try some new parts, but me I won't spend another penny on it. I will only buy a high end kit or piece a kit together myself. Unfortuately it seems like the cheap kits don't provide any better cooling than even a stock AMD fan. :(

my advice is don' t waste anymore money on it. maybe try and buy a waterblock for your video card or somethin and use it to cool that. or just try and sell it on ebay to another unsuspecting customer. get a good heatsink it will cool better than iceberg or get an innovatek rev 3 kit That's what i use and it's excellent or get a dangerden kit as I have heard good things about those kits as well

I appreciate the feedback ;-)

The thing that I find most lacking is the radiator system The fans mount directly to the rad, instead of having some sort of shroud. I did notice that on some of the better rad's (Danger dan's, and Swiftech's), that the Rad's are mostly inclosed in a shroud, to allow better air flow over the entire surface of the Rad.

Unfortuantley I already agreed to the pump yesterday, since the pet shop owner gave me a better price on it, and I will post the performance outcome here sometime tomorrow.

The pump that comes with this terrible Iceburg only pumps 150 GPH, and that is at the pump head. I did learn that a 150 GPH pump, with over 2 feet of tubing almost hits the 0 mark !!!!!!!!

The pump that I am getting at 2 feet still produces 270-300 GPH, so you would almost think there should be some improvement ;-)

I refuse to mount the res in the case, so I have to run the tubing almost 1 1/2 feet farther than the setup calls for.

I wish I spent 150 - 200 for a Swittech, or a Danger Den setup, but I bought this system on a sale price. I hate to throw away the setup that I have now, since I already modded my case, to use it.

For anyone who has a pump that uses 110 like this one, I would highly suggest the Swiftech Relay. I spent 20.00 on it, went to Radio Shack and purchased a small activity box to mount it in. I then velcro'ed the box the the outside of the case, and it has a nice clean look to it ;-) A relay is absoultey imparitive, to avoid making the mistake of turning the system on, and forgeting to start the pump! (oops) Least I did something right ;-)

I did file a complaint with the Attorney General's office, over an unsafe product such as the Iceburg, and I think after the brief that I gave them they may investigate Ahanix, especially since even on thier NEW Icebug 2 kit, they are still using the same Res, which is subject to cracking!

The only difference that I saw in the new kit is that they covered the Sink with a blue substance, and they are using a different (cheaper looking), pump, with the same GPH as thier older one. Guess it shows you the company's true colors toward comsumer satisafaction ;-)

Thanks again for the help ;-))))

Rick

Edited by islhopr