How much difference is Dual channel vs Single channel ops?

Kung Lau

After reading a bunch from these boards, I've finally gotten stable (so far) build with relaxed timings on my BH6 Mushkins. I believe these were never designed to go the way of high mem fsb so I may just halt it at 230 @ 3.00vdimm (kinda hesitant to push past this point atm). The thing is that I can o/c these sticks to 230 x 11 fine right now but they are in positions 1 and 2 and running in single channel mode. Is there a noticeable difference between dual channel and single channel memory mode, given the new memory controller on the cpu? I'm also in a bind because my XP-120 doesn't give me enough room to install ram to slot 4, so I can't use both the orange slots as I've read here so much. I'm thinking of switching to an XP-90 but want to ask about how much potential increase in performance I'll get by getting a smaller heatsink/fan therefore opening up the slot 3, and "maybe" getting dual channel to work then buying higher spd ram (4400+) and working the cpu more. This SD chip is running 2.5 right now on default speed and I think it's my old but low latency ram that's holding me back.

Thoughts?

Is there a noticeable difference between dual channel and single channel memory mode, given the new memory controller on the cpu?

Theoretically, DC gives you twice the bandwidth of SC. With K8's integrated memory controller it doesn't work this way though.

I'd try and see for myself, If I were you.

Off-topic: if your memory is indeed based on BH-6, then you actually got old Winbond 6ns 190nm chips rated for 4.0V Max! No kidding. Anything less that 3.8V is proven to be safe for them.

and even 5 - 10% is an optimistic figure, the upper end most seen in benchmarks

in other "real world" apps you'll see mostly some 2-5%.

If using sandra memory bw meter, then you'll see an almost 100% improvement :D