Problem Installing Windows XP

Guest Grader_merged

Guest Grader

Ok so i just finished building the system in my sig. everything is fine. problem that i run into. is that windows starts to install gets to a certain point. and then it no longer sees the CD ROM drive (Plextor 716a DVD Burner IDE) hard Drive atm is WD SATA 80gb.. it asks for E:/i386 but when i hit enter it canr find it. when i try to browse. all that is there is C: and D: (2nd partition} and ideas?

Hmmm not sure, but do you have another drive to use, just to get you over this hump? Maybe the disk is scratched - wouldn't explain why it's not showing up though. Or you could copy the i386 folder to c: or d: before you start the install, then point to this place when it asks?

Guest Grader

i saw a post somewhere about the IDE access Mode. does that have to be set to something other than auto? i think the post was about the hard drive not the cdrom though.. gonna test another dvdrom that i have.. the cd is fine. i just installed it on this computer iam using atm didnt even take it out of the cdrom...

Guest Grader

Ok iam a moron.... my cdrom was set as Slave and using the slave drive part of the ide cable.. the cdrom was the slavedrive on my other computer and forgot to change the jumpers. and used the gray(slave) vs black (primary) on the ribbon cause i wanted to hide the cables.. not sure which it actully was. but its working now... sorry to waste your time.