Intel Processor FAQ

Ok... this is a place that we can kinda orginize many of the commonly asked questions about Intel Processors. - DO NOT Post "Intel Sucks", or anything like that.

Feel free to submit to this thread in a Q&A format... a staff member will edit this message from time to time with the new FAQ. :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Search The Forums : Asking For Help Guidelines : Overclockers Club Site Rules

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• 1 month later...

Question: How can i unlock my Pentium 4 processor

Answer: At the present time Intel has made it impossible to unlock a socket 478 processor but a recnt review stateing that there is a way to update the bios on a ASUS P5AD2 and P5GD2 socket 775 motherboard which will partialy unlock the Intel Pentium 4 socket 775 550 and 560 versions although only one review has been writen about this so it may not work.

• 2 weeks later...

whats the difference between the C and the E i n the descriptions of a P4 like this:

--Intel Pentium 4/ "" 3.2E "" GHz 800MHz FSB, 1MB L2 Cache, Hyper Threading

Technology - Retail

-- Intel Pentium 4/ "" 3.2C "" GHz 800MHz FSB, 512K Cache, Hyper Threading Technology - Retail

(limit 5 per customer)

I want to believe that its some thing to do with the Prescott probably the "E" loking at the strore lists the "E" have 1MB of Cache.

And The "C" for the Northwood having 512k chache, Pliss tell me if im right.

Also i not sure but i believe that the Norhwood is better than the prescott, in some ways because the cache is bigger in PreScott (1MB) than NorthWood (512k), but i think that Prescott have more heating caused for some overclockin than NW, if i am rigth please let me know if not please correct me.

Will wait for and quiet explanation please, in base to buy the better one THANKS

:unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure:

Edited by tenoch732

• 5 weeks later...

Why is my processor only showing 50% usage when i am folding or doing anything else for that matter?

A: Hyperthreading

Hyperthreading is INTEL's answer to combat multi-tasking slowdowns. Usually stressfull, high demanding processes with normal processors (amd's, cellerons ect...) will use 100% but hyperthreading solves this by simulating a 2nd processor on the same piece of silicone wafer. Thus giving you the performance of 2 identical processors. Which means that you can do twice the ammount of processing.

This also leads to another question:

Q: why does my processes show "System Idle Process" using 99% of my resources?

A: because your computer is IDLE and isnt doing any work that requires the use of your processor