Affordable PC build for my parents

jayshreekumar

This build will mostly be used for light web browsing, playing music, and maybe some 1080p video. I want it to last them as long as possible and age gracefully. This is what I've come up with. I already have a copy of windows to install so I didn't include that in the build. My main concern is the possible required BIOS update with the newer AMD processor, how much of a problem is that these days? Additionally, I know the M.2 may be a bit overkill but I still feel like the benefits will be felt for the price difference? Same line of thinking for going with 3200 RAM. Thoughts and opinions?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant
Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 3 2200G 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $94.99 @ SuperBiiz
Motherboard Gigabyte - GA-AB350M-DS3H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard $59.99 @ SuperBiiz
Memory Team - T-Force Vulcan 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $90.98 @ Newegg
Storage ADATA - XPG SX8200 240GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $92.13 @ Amazonhttps://www.applock.ooo/

Storage Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $43.40 @ OutletPC

Case Thermaltake - Versa H15 MicroATX Mid Tower Case $31.99 @ SuperBiizhttps://www.7zip.vip/

Power Supply Corsair - CX (2017) 450W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $23.98 @ Newegg

Optical Drive Asus - DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer $18.59 @ OutletPC
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $476.05
Mail-in rebates -$20.00
Total $456.05
Edited by jayshreekumar

As with all equipment, updates are given to newer equipment and older equipment no longer receive updates.  Whenever an update is needed that good manufacturer Gigabyte will post it on their website.  I never had any issue with that.

Always going for better equipment will payoff when looking for a system that will age gracefully.

I just did a quick google of the mb and tought it said it will only support a m2 drive up to 32 gb, the one you listed is 240 gb, I may be wrong but you should double check that !

Edit, ignore that, what I saw was 32 gb's speed, so your good to go, looks like a good build !

Edited by SpikeSoprano