Can sata cable could possibly stop a GPU fan ?

Hello. First my new graphic card, Gigabyte Gtx 1080 Xtreme.

Listen.

My friend was plugging graphic card to my pc. Then we ran unigine heaven and realize that 1 fan was not working. Then he check fans and tell me that sata cable was blocking and stopping fan. But i dont saw that. I think i can believe to my friend.

Somebody said to me this:
"How exactly did you manage to get a sata cable routed in such a way that it stopped a fan? Even if it was up against the card I don't see how it could possibly stop a fan....."

Is this possible that sata cable can stop a fan? I need your opinion.
Edited by litwicki22

In my opinion yes it's possible.

Cooling fans don't have much start-up torque and a badly routed SATA cable could prevent one from turning if it's in contact with the fan blades.

So it is possible that a sata cable just stuck in way of fan blade and fan was not working? My friend was plugging video card. When i saw not working fan i dont saw any interfering cable. When i ask him, then he said to me ,that sata cable was from other side.
He lie or i dont saw that cable? But i dont see any reason why he could lie to me.

But fan is working fine now.

Edited by litwicki22

A cable could very easily stop a fan from starting. 

Further, depending on the firmware on the GPU, it could not try to spin the fan up again to avoid damage.

So if one fan was not working for 4 minutes and temp was 70C with 2 fans i dont damage card? Now 3 three fans working and max temp is 63c.

So if one fan was blocked by cable for 4 minutes being in load nothing bad happened?

Edited by litwicki22