Issue with 2 different GTX 970's

Neural

I got a zotac 970(2x6 power) last week (upgraded from 7950 (2x6 power) and have been having issues with it, the box it came in was beat up so I was thinking it was the card was at fault.
I then bought an ASUS GTX strix 970 (1x8 power) today to see and its doing the same thing sadly :s

When I boot up it shows the gigabyte bios screen and goes no further, I cant press del to get in etc either.
Strange thing is that sometimes when I re-seat the 970 it will randomly work after a few reboots, it seems like its detecting new hardware everytime, I as of yet have been unable to determine what it is I am doing that gets it to work.
I put the 7950 back in and it booted first time and works fine.
So i'm thinking along the lines of mobo, psu, bios at the moment but would like some ideas as to what you guys think it could be?

Specs:
I have a 700w beQuiet straight power PSU.
Gigabyte GAZ77X-d3h Mobo. F16 Bios
16gb RAM

Turns out I needed the latest Beta BIOS, just got it working on F18i, thanks for the tip though :)

Good to hear! Usually on Ivy Bridge boards GPU problems tend to be PCIe compatibility things.

Just to update this, it worked ok for a day or so, on bios F18i
Now every time I cold reboot, on first attempt to POST it fails then reboots and boots to the factory (2nd) bios which wont work with the gtx 970 as that bios is too old and doesn't contain the necessary VGA compatibility update.
So unless I can either force it to boot into the first bios properly or I'll need a new board... fs :/

So basically now, I have to re flash the bios reboot and then it works the first time, subsequent reboots go to the 2nd bios.

I don't understand why it fails to boot into the new Bios and there's no way to find out as far as I am aware.

Any idea's?

In case its of any use to someone, I overwrote the backup BIOS (alt f10 on boot) with the main BIOS (F18i) and it now appears to be mostly working, clearly just an issue with this board though, and gigabyte boards in general from what I have read online.