ECS LIVA X2 Mini PC Reviewed

Bosco

Pretty good review overall, and some great pictures provided of such a small product. Glad to see some benchmarks included as well. Things like the ECS LIVA X2 Mini PC are definitely neat, due to their energy efficiency, size, and price. In the end, it's a shame that the RAM can't be upgraded, but at least the storage is expandable.

Pretty good review overall, and some great pictures provided of such a small product. Glad to see some benchmarks included as well. Things like the ECS LIVA X2 Mini PC are definitely neat, due to their energy efficiency, size, and price. In the end, it's a shame that the RAM can't be upgraded, but at least the storage is expandable.

Luckily the price difference between the 2GB and 4GB version isn't that high ($70). Plus right now, Newegg has the 4GB for an extra $40 off, bringing it down to $200. Not bad at all.

Luckily the price difference between the 2GB and 4GB version isn't that high ($70). Plus right now, Newegg has the 4GB for an extra $40 off, bringing it down to $200. Not bad at all.

Yeah, that's not too bad since you get double the storage space as well. With that discount that Newegg is offering, that price point is very intriguing for a lot of people probably, since the device can be used for a variety of applications.

Thanks for pointing the discount out!

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to give a bit of a heads up as we all know we cannot stop tinkering with things. I figured even with the 2GB RAM this thing would be awesome for a compact pentest machine. So I started out on trying to get Linux installed. I tried everything I could but Kali 2.0 (based on Debian) would not take. The Kali startup kept throwing errors and locking up the system. Since the Liva X supported Ubuntu but needed modification I changed to that path. Suprisingly though the Liva X2 took the Ubuntu USB installer with no issues. Wifi works out of the box and I was able to switch the desktop to XFCE to save some memory hogging of Unity. Not a bad little box. I really think 2GB RAM is too limited in these days and the 4GB is a no brainer as you can see running Metasploit hogs it. But all in all not bad. I even did not have to disable Secure Boot or disable UEFI for the legacy BIOS.

post-127536-0-74766200-1443038763_thumb.png post-127536-0-71361100-1443038774_thumb.jpg post-127536-0-04098600-1443038781_thumb.jpg