Custom alienware 18 cooling pad that made overclocking possible!

Originally had 2 fans ( cooler master jet flow 120), added another fan for performance. Cut out holes in the cooler to allow for more cooling power. Please tell me what you think about it. Thanks

Is it just the turbulencee or something wrong? After the installation, if i hover my hand over to each fan area to feel the pressure, i notice that the strongest prrssure seems to be not exactly at the center of each fan area, but in between the fan areas, if you know what i mean. And the leftmost fan pressure seems lowest after being placed in a row like that. On the work bench, im pretty sure the preasure was the same.?

UPDATE: added white circles for better look. Also added filters.

post-140906-0-67723700-1431613063_thumb.jpg

post-140906-0-07884900-1431613078_thumb.jpg

post-140906-0-38240800-1431613109_thumb.jpg

post-140906-0-95705200-1431613124_thumb.jpg

post-140906-0-86887600-1431613140_thumb.jpg

Edited by hummatov
  • Like 1

Just for a fun try put some door or window insulation around the edge where the laptop sits and test it out. That may force feed the cooling vents and get you better temps. But who knows. Have to test the theory.

Just for a fun try put some door or window insulation around the edge where the laptop sits and test it out. That may force feed the cooling vents and get you better temps. But who knows. Have to test the theory.

Thanks, i might try that later on, for now im trying to figure out how to make a home made filter for it.

Case fans tend to move more air towards the end of the blades compared to the middle of the fan in general. It would make sense that the most airflow is between the fans because of that.

Nylon leggings or at-least the material stretched over a frame makes a good home made filter

Thanks, i might try that later on, for now im trying to figure out how to make a home made filter for it.

Don't forget. Go ahead and leave that laptop on the desk without the cooler, play a game for an hour and record your min and max temperatures. I would suggest Hardware monitor and Core temp. Then run Prime95 blend for an hour using the same monitors and then we have a base line at stock. After that slap the cooler on it and repeat the process. This will let you know if you are taking steps forward or backwards..

Don't forget. Go ahead and leave that laptop on the desk without the cooler, play a game for an hour and record your min and max temperatures. I would suggest Hardware monitor and Core temp. Then run Prime95 blend for an hour using the same monitors and then we have a base line at stock. After that slap the cooler on it and repeat the process. This will let you know if you are taking steps forward or backwards..

Oh you mean, this cooler may actually do harm rather than help with cooling? I was actually afraid of that. When i place two random fans on top of each other (externally),i notice that instead of helping push more air, the speed of the top fan actually drops, so i am now afraid this can somehow stall the built in alienware 18 fans???

Just test it out and record results. The cooler I used seemed to help. I look forward to seeing your results. And if you are that worried about it then EVGA precision X offers an on screen display that is easy to setup and works on vertually all Nvidia gpu's

Just test it out and record results. The cooler I used seemed to help. I look forward to seeing your results. And if you are that worried about it then EVGA precision X offers an on screen display that is easy to setup and works on vertually all Nvidia gpu's

Thanks. And how would i record the results? I have speccy pro version but dont know if i can record it with that. What about propriotory software like msi afterburner? What do you recommend? Thanks

Edited by hummatov

I just finished testing the custom cooler. Here is the results:

Processor idle:

Without cooler: 47 C, with cooler: 35 C

Processor at heavy load:

Without cooler: 75C, with cooler 60

GPU: idle

Without cooler: 46 C, with cooler: 37 C

GPU at work:

Without cooler: 82 C, with cooler 69 C

Afterburner should be able to keep track of GPU temperature and CPU temperature. If it doesn't work with your particular setup for CPU temps, Realtemp is a good free program for Intel procs.

• 2 weeks later...