VDDC spike on my 7970

jxs9

I wake up my computer from hibernate and then a few minutes into using it the circuit break trips. According to my GPUZ log the videocard was pretty much showing the usual idle readings and then spikes within seconds to GPU load at 20% and VDDC Current [A] to 7.0 and  VDDC [V] to 1.172 while all the other readings stayed the same. I wasn't running any videos,games,etc. Just chrome,firefox like usual,It has never happened before.  I attached the log readings.

GPU-Z Sensor Log.txt

Are you sure it wasn't just coincidence that your breaker tripped? Did something else cause it?

A current of 7A at 1.172V is only about 7W which will cause little or no difference on the current pulled from the mains.

Are you sure it wasn't just coincidence that your breaker tripped? Did something else cause it?

A current of 7A at 1.172V is only about 7W which will cause little or no difference on the current pulled from the mains.

Yea I think it could have been something else. But does this spike indicate anything wrong with the videocard? 

No, mine will shoot up when I surf the net, if the page you go to has high graphics on it the video card thinks it's a game and will go to it's highest power setting for a second or 2. Most video cards will do that, it's normal.

• 3 months later...

How did you determine it was your TV? The readings still look totally normal to me.

It wasn't he video card but my Emerson TV. I originally thought it could be the video card. But it was the TV power supply board failing. I didn't know it was the TV until the more problems kept coming up until it completely failed later. I replaced the TV and now my circuit breaker doesn't go off. Those Emerson TV's use some really cheap Chinese junk. Those boards are well known to fail.