3 replies to this topic

#1 Nemo

Nemo

Will Fold 4 Food

• Honorary Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7228 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 07:36 PM

If you're thinking about building a rig using one of AMD's APUs, then you should check out the Sapphire A75 Pure Platinum - http://www.overclock..._pure_platinum/

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz / ASUS P5Q Deluxe / Patriot Extreme Performance 2GB PC2-9600 DDR2-1200MHz / 2x Seagate ST3160827AS 160GB RAID 1 / Seagate ST31000340AS 1TB
Corsair TX750W / Sapphire HD 5870 1GB GDDR5 / SilverStone TJ05 / Scythe Zipang 140mm CPU Cooler / ASUS VH202T-P 20" widescreen monitor (x2) / XP Pro SP 3
"however, i cannot claim to be such a fish as i am not a fish at all..." - hardnrg,Jul 4 2005, 02:49 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Follow OCC on Posted Image
Subscribe to the OCC Newsletter

Lucky Mudder Race 2013

#2 dgingeri

dgingeri

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 10:18 AM

Nice article. I usually like your reviews, site wide.

In this case, the product falls beneath my threshold to consider buying it. It still uses the old BIOS instead of UEFI. I simply refuse to buy any motherboard now that doesn't have that. (This includes Gigabyte's false UEFI.) I don't do this for my convenience, but rather for the industry wide customer interests. For something to be adopted, it needs to be picked up by everyone, not just some or most, but all. It is just lazy to go with a BIOS these days. Laziness in this means laziness in other things, and slows down the adoption of this vital future feature. UEFI should have been adopted years ago, yet too many companies got lazy. Don't let them get lazy, and they start keeping up with things like this.

Don't buy this product, if only because they got lazy about the UEFI. It's for the sake of us all.

#3 tacohunter52

tacohunter52

R34CT1V4T3D

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2754 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 10:45 AM

In this case, the product falls beneath my threshold to consider buying it. It still uses the old BIOS instead of UEFI. I simply refuse to buy any motherboard now that doesn't have that. (This includes Gigabyte's false UEFI.) I don't do this for my convenience, but rather for the industry wide customer interests. For something to be adopted, it needs to be picked up by everyone, not just some or most, but all. It is just lazy to go with a BIOS these days. Laziness in this means laziness in other things, and slows down the adoption of this vital future feature. UEFI should have been adopted years ago, yet too many companies got lazy. Don't let them get lazy, and they start keeping up with things like this.

Don't buy this product, if only because they got lazy about the UEFI. It's for the sake of us all.

I agree with some of what you said, but I wouldn't avoid buying a motherboard just because it is still using AMI BIOS especially because the motherboard in question is an FM1 board. If we were talking about a high end 1155 board, then yeah, there is almost no reason for the manufacturer to have not included EFI bios, but for this? The way I look at it, AMD's current APU's are great for budget/multimedia/HTPC computers, and for that you don't really need anything special, especially in the BIOS. In my opinion most of the people purchasing llano computers aren't going to be spending a whole lot of time in the BIOS anyway, so AMI should be just fine.

Plus EFI BIOS is still relatively new in consumer based motherboards so it's kind of hard to expect it to be used by every current motherboard.

Posted Image

Generic Most Awesome Sig

#4 DanTheGamer11

DanTheGamer11

When life gives you lemons, eat them.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4018 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 01:29 AM

Don't worry they will be releasing unlocked cpus too... maybe they will do something?

Processor AMD Phenom II X6 1055T @3.2Ghz
Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
Memory 8GB 1.48V 1600Mhz DDR3 Crucial Ballistix Tactical
Motherboard Asrock N68C-GS FX
Graphics XFX HD 7950
Storage 1TB WD Caviar Blue HDD, 240GB Kingston Hyper X SSD, Thanks OCC & Kingston, makes a big difference  :)
Optical Disk Drive Sony Optiarc DVD/CD ReWriter
Power Supply Cooler Master GX 650W Bronze
Case Cooler Master CM690