Eagle Consus Mobile Hdd Enclosure Tested

jammin

So you are telling me if you have one computer that taken 30 seconds to boot into an OS and another one that takes 520 seconds that it does not matter as long as it boots? I don't know about you but I want the faster one. I don't understand your reasoning for saying it is an unnecessary benchmark.

Uh...no, not quite.

I was saying I don't see the point in hand timing file transfer tests when the margin of error is as large as the testing time.

Getting a "better" score on a test with a margin of error that high doesn't mean anything at all...

Uh...no, not quite.

I was saying I don't see the point in hand timing file transfer tests when the margin of error is as large as the testing time.

Getting a "better" score on a test with a margin of error that high doesn't mean anything at all...

Then you might as throw out 95% of the reviews on the net that do these sort of tests. Alot of us do this because there is no built in timers in alot of benchmark programs and in any benchmark there is an expected margin of error no benchmark is 100% perfect.

Then you might as throw out 95% of the reviews on the net that do these sort of tests. Alot of us do this because there is no built in timers in alot of benchmark programs and in any benchmark there is an expected margin of error no benchmark is 100% perfect.

*sigh*

I didn't intend for this to be a huge point of contention...I just figured that it would make sense to spend a few extra seconds and time a file transfer test accurately rather than using a stopwatch.

*sigh*

I didn't intend for this to be a huge point of contention...I just figured that it would make sense to spend a few extra seconds and time a file transfer test accurately rather than using a stopwatch.

May I ask (not patronisingly of course) what you suggest for timing transfers? I understand your desire to give constructive feedback to the reviewer, but the impression I get is that you have a better method for doing so, thus it'd be great if you could share that knowledge! Thanks :)

May I ask (not patronisingly of course) what you suggest for timing transfers? I understand your desire to give constructive feedback to the reviewer, but the impression I get is that you have a better method for doing so, thus it'd be great if you could share that knowledge! Thanks :)

HD Tune will benchmark file transfers accurately. :)

Guest ajmatson
Yes, but using the file transfer test instead of a hand-timed test. :)

This is all turning into a bigger argument than I wanted. I was simply surprised to see a hand-timed test.

We are not trying to turn in into a way out debate the point we are trying to stress is we are using benchmarking software and "Real Life" tests. Sure just like 3DMark is a great benchmark software but I want to know the real life data. We do this by timing how long it takes to transfer certain size files to the hard drive in the enclosure. This way we show you how it performs to others. Would you want an enclosure that takes 40 seconds to transfer a 500MB file or one that does it in say 17 seconds. It is all about the actual reality of the item.

We are in no way trying to disprove what you are saying we are explaining why we do what we do which is what you asked for. ;)