4800+ X2 in and running

Got my 4800+ X2 in my DFI rig and she fired right up....... Bios 623-3

Made 2.8 ridiculously easy at 1.42 vcore-----HTT 234 x 12 Multi

Ran two superPi's simultaneously----1 meg did 30 seconds each

Ran two Primes----Core 1 Keeps chugging along----Core 2 drops after about an hour so I'll have to tweak a bit. Temps get as high as 50C under stress and i'm on air.....

Wasn't there a way to set memory for prime95 so they didn't share when running two instances??

This dual core stuff is a whole different ballgame.....

Ran 7 apps simultaneously and alt tabbed between them------it was instantaneous----no lag at all....

Need to test it while one core is REALLY busy with something demanding----say rendering a DVD----see how fast it switches and responds then.

Can someone explain to me how the cores respond???

When does Core 2 kick in??? At a certain percent of CPU load??? When a new application requiring a certain amount of resources starts up???

Whats the rhyme or reason a certain core would do a certain app???

In other words----can someone explain to me how the pie is divided when there are say 7 apps running????

John

Windows will allocate the cores equally among threads with the same priority. If one app has a higher process priority class and is running two threads at full load that app will take up most of the time and other apps will not get much processing time.

If two apps are running with the same priority both apps will get equal time on the cores.

If one app is running 1 thread another app is running 1 thread and a third app is running 2 threads, the third app will get 50% of the processing power while the other two will have to split the other 50% of power.

Generally calculation work should be done on a low priority thread so the gui will get more processing time and keep the computer experience fast, but most apps will calculate demanding things like video encoding with normal priority, and can thus make the experince laggy.

Two cores help with this problem, because there is less chance that two demanding caclulations are done at the same time, but if you start a lot of programs that does anything mayor (like rendering a movie or batching a job) your computer will become slow like a single core again.

Generally if you don't do anything with the programs you have running they don't take up any processing time, so just having 7 programs started will not slow you down.

Generally if you don't do anything with the programs you have running they don't take up any processing time, so just having 7 programs started will not slow you down.

But they will reserve quite a bit of memory, which could slow things down.