Lapped Xp120 Or Zalman 9700?

jelly

Hey guys and gals

I have my e6750 clocked to 3.2ghz @ 1.35v with a zalman 9700led. With the summer months here I have seen my temps go up. In the winter and spring I was get idle temp of 33/34c and load temps of 52/53c under prime95. My office temps were about 65/69f. Now with the warm weather my office is getting into the 85+f and my cpu temps are going up also. Im now getting 39/40c idle and 56/58c load. (my load is comming from games, video encoding and hd video. Not prime95, I would hate to see what that would do to my temps! lol) Anyways Im going to be taking my zalman 9700 off and put some new past on. The stuff I have on now is like 6months old. I have a thermalright xp120 that I had used on my old a64 4400+ and thought of putting that on my e6750. I lapped the heatsink but never used it after I lapped it. How well do you think this heatsink would do on my overclock e6750? Will it be any better then the 9700? I also hate cleaning my 9700, it's hard to get all the dust out of it. Thats also why im looking at putting the xp120 on. I have been all over the web looking for review with the xp120 and a c2d chip, but I have not seen much of anything. Im hopping that some you of could give me some insight! :) If anyone has used the xp120 on a c2d chip could you let me know how well it worked? I could really use some info on this! Thanks for any help you can give me! :)

Hey guys and gals

I have my e6750 clocked to 3.2ghz @ 1.35v with a zalman 9700led. With the summer months here I have seen my temps go up. In the winter and spring I was get idle temp of 33/34c and load temps of 52/53c under prime95. My office temps were about 65/69f. Now with the warm weather my office is getting into the 85+f and my cpu temps are going up also. Im now getting 39/40c idle and 56/58c load. (my load is comming from games, video encoding and hd video. Not prime95, I would hate to see what that would do to my temps! lol) Anyways Im going to be taking my zalman 9700 off and put some new past on. The stuff I have on now is like 6months old. I have a thermalright xp120 that I had used on my old a64 4400+ and thought of putting that on my e6750. I lapped the heatsink but never used it after I lapped it. How well do you think this heatsink would do on my overclock e6750? Will it be any better then the 9700? I also hate cleaning my 9700, it's hard to get all the dust out of it. Thats also why im looking at putting the xp120 on. I have been all over the web looking for review with the xp120 and a c2d chip, but I have not seen much of anything. Im hopping that some you of could give me some insight! :) If anyone has used the xp120 on a c2d chip could you let me know how well it worked? I could really use some info on this! Thanks for any help you can give me! :)

I think your doing good for over a 20 degree spread on temps from summer versus winter in Ambient temps....still holding only 4c higher temps aint too shabby...

I would think it would be more about having the proper contact patch than shelling out more money that may or may not get you any better temps....

if the IHS and heatsink are lapped I would think you are doing about the best you can....

I do own both of the heatsinks so theres no money being spent, well I think I would get a new fan for the xp120. I think im going to try it, the only think that gets me is taking the whole computer apart to swap them out. I guess im just lazy. lol Should I back my clocks down if I put the xp120 in, or would I be fine leaving them at 3.2ghz?

Are you going to use the Scythe Universal Retention Kit to get the P4 style retention bracket on a 775 board? I can't remember if the XP-120 comes with 775 adapters (pretty sure it doesn't)

Also fairly sure the XP-120 is better at cooling than the 9700, probably more to do with the wimpy Zalman fan than the heatsink...

mmm, looks like you either need the Thermalright LGA775 RM (optional backplate / retention bracket), or the Scythe Universal Retention Kit, both end up with the four clip points for the XP-120

Are you going to use the Scythe Universal Retention Kit to get the P4 style retention bracket on a 775 board? I can't remember if the XP-120 comes with 775 adapters (pretty sure it doesn't)

I think I got a lga775 RB with the heatsink. I bought the heatsink about 9months ago so I think at that time they came with the RB.

Should I think about lapping my e6750? Is it really dangerous to lap the cpu? I have never done one before. I would like to get as low of a temp as possible. If it will only give me a 1/2c then I will skip it, but if I can get 6/8c then I would think about doing it.

Should I think about lapping my e6750? Is it really dangerous to lap the cpu? I have never done one before. I would like to get as low of a temp as possible. If it will only give me a 1/2c then I will skip it, but if I can get 6/8c then I would think about doing it.

Lap the heatsink.

But if you're confident:

http://www.thetechrepository.com/showthread.php?t=71

Edited by Stryker125

The heatsink is lapped but not the cpu. I just dont know if I should lap the cpu also.

Read the link and decide. Apparently "There is no downside" but I would believe there is If you mess up in the process.

duder....

the only reason to lap is when the contact patch is lees than perfect....

check the patch and see if the IHS needs lapped...

some C2D(Q) need lapped due to concave IHSs....

I didn't lap my Q6700 or the 9700 and the contact patch was very nice and even...