Fan Speed Controller For A Vantec Tornado

it's the K8N Neo2 Platinum... maybe mine is an earlier revision or something if it looks different... if you're wondering about the blue heatsinks on the board, I put those there

it worked extremely well for me... I took my 3200 Winchester to 2850 MHz suicide, and backed down to ~2750 24/7 stable before the memory controller deteriorated (like 6-8 months later lol)... damn Winchesters... haha...

a lot of fan controllers operate in the 7-11.3 V kinda range... my 92mm Tornado was still audible at 7... the AeroGate took it down to about 5V and it was pretty much silent! So I had a total choice of extreme performance for benching, moderate for gaming and work, and tamed for sleeping :lol:

it's the K8N Neo2 Platinum... maybe mine is an earlier revision or something if it looks different... if you're wondering about the blue heatsinks on the board, I put those there

it worked extremely well for me... I took my 3200 Winchester to 2850 MHz suicide, and backed down to ~2750 24/7 stable before the memory controller deteriorated (like 6-8 months later lol)... damn Winchesters... haha...

a lot of fan controllers operate in the 7-11.3 V kinda range... my 92mm Tornado was still audible at 7... the AeroGate took it down to about 5V and it was pretty much silent! So I had a total choice of extreme performance for benching, moderate for gaming and work, and tamed for sleeping :lol:

Ah - The heatsinks were what I was thinking was different -- Same bored afterall :)

Also, my Winchester is sitting at 2.4Ghz at the moment... Loved being able to overclock it like mad back in the P4 days :P

And for your last comment, that is EXACTLY what I wanted to hear -- Definately will be taking a route similar to that then :)

one thing to note is that the GateWatch, I think the AeroGate too, require the tacho wire to be present on the fan in order to throttle the speed *at all*... no yellow wire = full speed only... so the 3 pin re-wire is a necessity... the reason is the fan controller records the RPM of the fan at max voltage, then sets the minimum to be half the RPM, and you adjust the speed in RPM increments which the controller adjusts the voltage in order to reach the target RPM, then settles at whatever voltage that may be...

there aren't really many options for a fan controller that fits behind the Tsunami door, I think you only have like 11mm of clearance or something, so that rules out any rotary speed controllers that I looked at back then anyway...