Temp Difference Between Cores

i've contacted intel and they told me not to worry about core temps and only look at the cpu temps! and only gave me cpu temp limits! i could'nt believe the rudeness of there tech support telling me i don't need to know something about there product that i spent several hundred dollors on and just be concerned with what they want me to be concerned with!! like some brain washed automaton.

Unlike mobile processors, DTS sensor readings have never been validated by Intel for desktop processors. You received the above answer because for all practical purposes the DTS sensors do not exist in a desktop configuration.

My Q6600 G0 usually reports two cores about 8c higher than the other two at heavy loads. After lapping both the heatsink (ThermalRight Ultra-120 Extreme) and the IHS, this did not change. I also read that running an 8 multi instead of a 9 might help even it out. This also didn't change anything.

when i contacted nvidia about a hot vid card they told me that vid cards run "very warm" is how they put it. mine runs 118F idle. 125F under load. it's a xfx nvidia 9600gt..hope that helps waco. Aloha

125 degrees F under load is pretty damn cool. :P

It also could be that the TRUE 120's base is said to not be actually flat. I have seen a few for sale on the net that for a little extra they will lap it for you, like usually 20 bucks extra.

I get strange readings from my cores depending on how much voltage I give the CPU. @ stock 1.26v my core 1 is the hottest, @ 1.33v core 2 is the hottest and over 1.4v core 4 is the hottest. For some reason core 3 is always the coolest. 10 degrees difference though would cause me a little concern, just to be sure I would remove the TRUE and check what the spread is like of the paste. There is a fine line between too little and too much. If you don't want to lap it then I would ask for a replacement, maybe yours is more convex than the rest. I really don't see why this caliber of heatsink would cater for concave CPU's when all we want is a super flat surface for best heat dissipation. Your problem could very well be due to lack of pressure but the last thing you want to do is kill a $200+ CPU for a $50+ heatsink.

Temp limits depend on the stepping,

quadsbz1.jpg

Forgot to mention that I also lapped both the cpu and TRUE when adding the washers. Still trying to get some stable overclock, bsod at 2hr 10min into prime95 no matter what i try so far... I suspect a driver conflict with nforce drivers and vista 64bit. Temps are now at 45 load with 1.3 v and 3.2ghz (8 x 400), even across all cores.

It also could be that the TRUE 120's base is said to not be actually flat. I have seen a few for sale on the net that for a little extra they will lap it for you, like usually 20 bucks extra.

I get strange readings from my cores depending on how much voltage I give the CPU. @ stock 1.26v my core 1 is the hottest, @ 1.33v core 2 is the hottest and over 1.4v core 4 is the hottest. For some reason core 3 is always the coolest. 10 degrees difference though would cause me a little concern, just to be sure I would remove the TRUE and check what the spread is like of the paste. There is a fine line between too little and too much. If you don't want to lap it then I would ask for a replacement, maybe yours is more convex than the rest. I really don't see why this caliber of heatsink would cater for concave CPU's when all we want is a super flat surface for best heat dissipation. Your problem could very well be due to lack of pressure but the last thing you want to do is kill a $200+ CPU for a $50+ heatsink.

Temp limits depend on the stepping,

quadsbz1.jpg

THANK YOU Branjo!!! you gave me excatly what I wanted:) no hassles & simple and straight foward. the "pros" at intel tech support could learn a thing or two from you about the dissemination of basic information to people who spend large amounts of cash to purchase there products and want some basic info about them. once again Branjo Mahalo Nui Loa & Aloha