Extend Wireless Network??

daniel

Well i currently own a dlink DGL-4500 router but due to the fact that walls here are brick the signal reaches only half of the house... i want to extend the signal to teh whole house without the use of any cable... is there any way to do this??? if so which product would you recommend..

thx

dan

any recommendation on brand and model? im looking for anything that will give me a good range no more than 200 bucks... but a cheaper one will b better

tin foil wont do it.. its a 5000ft^2 house and each wall is made of thick brick layers...

Must be an older house. I haven't seen new development of that size go in without CAT5 everywhere in quite a while.

Daniel,

Since you have a "N" wireless router, your options right now are going to be pretty limited since the majority of repeaters only comply with the "B" or "G" specifications. If there is any way to get around using a repeater you will probably be happier in the long run. Repeaters WILL result in a loss of bandwidth regardless.

Some options;

Cable to an Access Point centrally located in the home

Move the existing router to a centrally located place in the home

Mount the existing router in the highest location possible in the home

Replace the existing router antenna with high gain antenna if available

use an electric-ethernet modulator pair (e.g. Devolo Homeplug) with an access point:

Wireless N router (ethernet) <--short ethernet cable--> (ethernet) modulator (mains socket) <-----------------mains wiring--------------> (mains socket) modulator (ethernet) <--short ethernet cable--> (ethernet) wireless access point

that's the best you can probably get without laying down cables around the house... the "slow" modulators run at 11Mbps, standard about 88Mbps, and there are fast ones available >100Mbps

Ha! Devolo actually do this product all in one:

http://www.devolo.com/co_EN_cs/produkte/dl...irelessext.html