Memory Bandwidth - How To Tell What Is "good"

six

One of my pals is working on his overclock and he posed the question to me about memory bandwidth. He asked how do you tell when you are achieving appropriate bandwidth for your system. He mentioned Everest and a couple of other benchmarks. His point was that there really isn't any way to compare such benches with other people's systems... and I guess that's true. - My only answer was that I bench at stock speeds and note my increases while I work on my overclock, but honestly, I don't think I'd have the foggiest clue of what similar set-ups might score in Everest or similar. AFAIK, there is no memory-specific benchmark that allows you to compare to other systems.

What I want to know is if that's correct. There isn't anything around that is like 3dmark/orb just for memory, is there?

I think bandwidth does make a difference,but only if you go a lot further than what you were on.When i upgraded from pc3200 to pc6400,there was a big,if not huge,difference.Although i did go from single to dual channel.

I think bandwidth does make a difference,but only if you go a lot further than what you were on.When i upgraded from pc3200 to pc6400,there was a big,if not huge,difference.Although i did go from single to dual channel.

Going from DDR to DDR2 isn't exactly a fair comparison since far more than just the memory is changing at that point. :lol:

Going from DDR2-533 to DDR2-1066 makes little to no difference on 99% of the stuff you'll throw at it. It's worth raising if you can but it's not really worth spending tons of time on unless you're working on a certain benchmark that requires crazy timings/bandwidth.