Need expert opinion on new p.c.

meww

Hey guy, I am new here and need expert opinion on new p.c. i am building. Well my current pc is about 4.5 year old and now its time to upgrade. Here is the list of the parts.

ASUS P5K PREMIUM/WIFI-AP LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor

GeIL 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Desktop Memory

ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler

well here are the main components, I am going to over-clock the cpu to 3.4ghz, any recommendations would be helpful before i purchase these items. Specially memory if it will handle the over clocking.

nice choice on the motherboard.

if you plan on overclocking that processor over 3.4ghz, i'd recommend searching for one that's a guarenteed G0 stepping. they can easily approach 4.0ghz with the right cooling setup.

for example: http://www.clubit.com/product_detail.cfm?i...cmp=OTC-fr00g13

exact same processor i have. will do 3.5 easy on stock cooling/volts/etc. 3.4 will be no sweat if you know what you're doing with the g0. if you don't, this is a great place to ask :)

i have the gskill 2x1gb kit, ddr2 800 and it runs like a champ. i'll be upgrading the 2x2gb soon. geil is an excellent product, you'll be happy with it.

make sure not to cheap out on a power supply. i've been out of the loop on them recently, so i don't have a good suggestion to make. i've heard pretty good thing about the ocz powerstreams.

video card - what kind of budget? everything else looks great. do you plan on gaming? what are you planning on doing mainly on the pc (besides folding of course :P)? the 8800gt seems to be a hot item. i adore my 8800gts 320mb. does everything i need it to and i cant complain. the 8800gt (not gts) supposedly rivals the gtx (from what i've heard), at a more affordable price. do you plan on running SLI at all?

hope this has helped so far.

Edited by airman

thank you for you input, well I made couple of changes to stay in my $850 budget.

GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor with Go stepping

G.SKILL 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1000 (PC2 8000) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler - Retail

XFX PVT84JUDF3 GeForce 8600GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 SLI Supported Video Card - Retail can't afford 8800 plus i have xbox 360 and ps3 for hardcore gaming :)

Thermaltake Purepower W0100RU ATX 12V 2.0 500W Power Supply - Retail

Rosewill R5717-P BK 120mm Fan ATX Mid Tower Computer Case withTool-Free kits - Retail

any recommendation please free special on the ram, I am not sure with that one but it got good reviews

or should I get this memory G.SKILL 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory. I will be overclocking this PC to 3.2 or 3.4 ghz so need to have good memory