Overclocking and NTune

I've been reading all the How-To guides on how to overclock my Q6600 and they all refer to going into the bios and rebooting. However, I am getting the XFX 680i SLI MB with the nTune software. Is it ok to use that to tweak the settings, or should I do it in the bios? All the guides I have read mention not using software to OC, but they are older than the nTune utility I believe.

So should I just use the bios? Or can I use the windows nTune utility?

Edited by doubleohpsycho

I'd advise using the bios for real overclocking and Clockgen for *testing* different FSB speeds, and Memset for *testing* different memory timings...

you can't change everything with nTune, so it's not anywhere near as good as changing settings in the bios, also it locks up my PC whenever I change anything lol, so I use Clockgen

it's not on the CPUID site at the moment... so here it is:

ClockGen_1.0.5.3.zip

• 2 weeks later...
I'd advise using the bios for real overclocking and Clockgen for *testing* different FSB speeds, and Memset for *testing* different memory timings...

you can't change everything with nTune, so it's not anywhere near as good as changing settings in the bios, also it locks up my PC whenever I change anything lol, so I use Clockgen

it's not on the CPUID site at the moment... so here it is:

ClockGen_1.0.5.3.zip

yea any 1 have any info on this? as soon as i change anything on ntune it locks my pc.... no idea why..... then if i go into bios n make the exact same chiange all is fine :S

I'd advise using the bios for real overclocking and Clockgen for *testing* different FSB speeds

yea any 1 have any info on this? as soon as i change anything on ntune it locks my pc.... no idea why..... then if i go into bios n make the exact same chiange all is fine :S

Idk...maybe because attempting to make major system changes on the fly while it's already trying to run an OS and other processes is a stupid idea?

All of those "overclocking tools" that come packaged with motherboards are junk. Besides, real men use the BIOS :P

Software is OK for testing purposes, but that's it. And even then, why use junky motherboard software when there's much better stuff like ClockGen?

All of those "overclocking tools" that come packaged with motherboards are junk. Besides, real men use the BIOS :P

Software is OK for testing purposes, but that's it. And even then, why use junky motherboard software when there's much better stuff like ClockGen?

i am a real man i do use bios :P jsut wondered why it liked to crash my pc ...

also nvida brought a new monitoring tool for temp and voltage monitorin could do with some one taking a look at the imaga i posted below...

CPU TJ temps are into 60's with NO overclock surely any 1 tell me why or is the nvidia taking the reading from a different place to all the others.. :S

the n tune utility used to give me the same temp valuse as the rest of my software

anyway image posted below

with pc wizzard top right

nvidia motitoring tool below

HW monitor on left

post-29984-1198843818_thumb.jpg

you have to open the zip file in WinRar/WinZip/7zip/etc, some sort of archive utility... there is an .exe and a .txt file inside, so extract them to a folder (e.g. C:\Program Files\Clockgen) and then make a shortcut on the StartMenu or Desktop...

you must have got an incomplete download... i checked the file by downloading it from this thread and it has two files as described... if you get anything different, the download didn't complete