Realtek HD Audio bass problem

unskin

so you're saying as long as an amp is powerful enough, you can use any amp, and the differences in technology, quality, etc do not make any difference in the sound...

When comparing two devices with the same output characteristics (16 bit, 44.1 KHz, etc), yes.

This is why a $100 solid state amp will sound identical to a $1000 solid state amp when both are driven within their operating/non-clipping range, assuming neither have design problems that cause noticeable noise.

See the Richard Clark Amplifier Challenge: http://www.talkaudio.co.uk/vbb/archive/ind...hp/t-18815.html

to me, there is a distinct difference between the sound from onboard audio, an entry-level soundcard, and an audiophile/studio-level soundcard... I am not just saying, *I* can hear a difference, I am saying there *is* a difference...

noise levels go from bad, to so-so, to excellent

bass definition and extension go from poor, to ok, to excellent

cross-talk / separation goes from "this sounds like augmented mono" to ok, to "this sounds almost live"

when I contested your claims of amplification levels for headphones, I meant that the other components on a soundcard or onboard audio greatly determine the resulting audio quality, it isn't solely the amplification stage, and that's the difference that I have took time, money and effort to find the differences between, and have even gone to the lengths of modifying audio hardware for the best sound

I wouldn't drive headphones from onboard audio, not really even a soundcard unless it was designed for recording and monitoring with a dedicated headphone output powered from the 12v rail... I'd much rather use the headphone output of an amplifier, or a dedicated headphone amp

If you are happy with onboard audio for your needs, that's fine, I'm saying there is a difference in upgrading to a soundcard, and that it should be considered as a solution for poor quality sound

If you are happy with onboard audio for your needs, that's fine, I'm saying there is a difference in upgrading to a soundcard, and that it should be considered as a solution for poor quality sound

Agreed. I was talking about the amplification stages mainly. The chipset of the card can have a drastic effect on the sound quality (seperation and signal to noise mainly) but generally doesn't have any effect on the frequency response of the output unless there is a design flaw or the outputs aren't capable of driving whatever load you present to them.

I misunderstood what you meant in your post, sorry. Do you see what I meant as well?

not really, it sounds like you are saying that you could take two amplifiers, with totally different designs, but with the same power rating, drive speakers/headphones to the same level, and they would sound exactly the same?

it's like you are saying an 8-year old making his first 30W amp would produce something that produces the same sound as an amp designed by Ray Samuels... like you are refuting the existence of quality, experience, or knowledge in audio amplifier design :unsure:

the difference wouldn't be so severe as to cause the bass level issues in this thread admittedly... but it has an effect on signal-to-noise and clarity/definition across the audio spectrum

I'd suggest to the OP, post up screenshots of the audio settings in the Realtek manager, and windows sound mixer... it seems like you might have one or more settings set to the wrong value

not really, it sounds like you are saying that you could take two amplifiers, with totally different designs, but with the same power rating, drive speakers/headphones to the same level, and they would sound exactly the same?

Yes. That's the whole point of the Richard Clark challenge. Nobody has succeeded thus far.

Two solid state amps without any obvious design flaws will sound identical when driven within their linear operating range.

but that challenge thread was locked in 2002 and is about car amps...

It's a standing challenge actually and it applies to all amplifiers. I just chose the first thread that popped up when I Google'd it.