Gateway - Model MX8711

I am going crazy; I STILL cannot figure out what the hell I'm doing! Every nLite I burn still won't let me install. Which drivers are supposed to be installed? I see eight different choices for textmode, plus regular pnp. Helllllllp! If I spend one more day in Vista hell, I'll go nuts!

I am going crazy; I STILL cannot figure out what the hell I'm doing! Every nLite I burn still won't let me install. Which drivers are supposed to be installed? I see eight different choices for textmode, plus regular pnp. Helllllllp! If I spend one more day in Vista hell, I'll go nuts!

Required things:

1. SATA drivers which can be downlaoded from http://www.schrockinnovations.com/GatewaySATA.zip

and save in a floopy drive

2. USB floopy drive if your computer does not have floopy drive

Step 1: Format the Hard Drive

Step 2: Connect your USB floopy drive

Step 3: Insert Windows XP cd and Restart . Press F6 to install SATA drivers and follow the instructions

Step 4: Create partition

Step 5: install windows XP

Has anyone found the wireless drivers yet?

A tip for those who still have the system recovery disk: I was able to get a good deal of the drivers from here & used nLite to slipstream them to a disk. Unfortunately, this didn't work for the wireless drivers; I have a bad feeling that the wireless drivers for XP are different from the Vista ones (or maybe I'm just doing it wrong).

• 3 months later...

Hey Guys,

Ran across this topic while I was searching for information on changing the MX8711 from Vista to XP, and thought I'd add my two cents.

After using nLite to slipstream the SATA drivers as described above (I'd actually had some experience with this, having had to jump through the same hoops changing my HP 9500 over) I got XP to install. The first drivers I added were the video, as I can't stand any resolutions below 1280X960. Driver file is here:

http://support.gateway.com/support/drivers...p;uid=173746747

Next I wanted to install the wireless driver, so I wouldn't have to keep using a USB drive to transfer drivers over. I'm afraid I can't remember exactly which driver it was that worked, but if you go here:

http://support.gateway.com/support/drivers...2.11g&st=kw

and check the ones that say Windows XP, it's one of those.

The audio drivers really threw me for a loop, I spent three hours downloading and installing different drivers to no avail, but finally I had a breakthrough. If you go to the Device Manager (Start, Settings, Control Panel, System, Hardware tab, Device Manager), and expand the System Devices menu, there will be an item with an exclamation point by it (Something like "Unknown PCI Device" or somesuch). Double click that, and select "Reinstall Driver", telling it to search Windows Update for newer drivers. After this process runs it will recognize the SigmaTel audio device for what it is, allowing you to install the driver from here:

http://support.gateway.com/support/drivers...p;uid=173279527

I haven't tried getting the modem or Ethernet installed yet, since we're completely wireless here, but I'll update if I ever have to install those. Hope this helps everyone!

country.hacker

• 4 months later...
A customer brought his new Gateway MX8711 Laptop into our shop the other day. It came with Vista installed on it and he wanted us to remove Vista and put Windows\xp - Pro on it. No problem.. Yeah right..

My boss told me to do a standard swipe and reload.. I did and when I went to install windows\xp - pro I got this message no hard drive found. So I went into the bios to see if the hard drive was detected and yes it was, but it is a SATA hard drive. This is the first time we have seen a SATA hard drive in a laptop.

Problems mounted as there is no floppy drive and we don't have a USB floppy drive. So I use Nlite to create a boot CD with the SATA drivers on it and got windows\xp to install. :rolleyes:

Now my problems are mounting. Gateway list no windows\xp drivers for this animal so I used PC-Wizard to identify the chipset and got the chipset drivers and the video drivers. The main problem is the sound. The device manager tells me the sound drivers are installed but no sound. Spent a good part of three hours trying to find the right sound drivers..

Anyone here run into this problem yet ?

Hello to all downgraders.....i found a sound driver for a gateway MX8711....go to Gateway download site...download Sigmatel XP sound driver for MX8710!!! ...it works!...these two notebooks are almost exactly alike....and the sound works fine...go to http://support.gateway.com/support/drivers...p;uid=187335035