Quick Question

swifty11212

I got a question does anyone know if there is a difference between Retail and Upgrade or is it the same thing. Cause Bestbuy has got it for 159 for Home Prem. But Circuit City has it for 239 and it says Upgrade on there box in the ad, and its got me all confused!

Please someone correct me if I am wrong...

Retail is the full version, can be installed on a freshly formatted HDD

Upgrade is a version that you can upgrade from XP to Vista, so you have to format, install XP, then upgrade to vista

Like I said, correct me if I am wrong, but thats what I have always thought it was

Please someone correct me if I am wrong...

Retail is the full version, can be installed on a freshly formatted HDD

Upgrade is a version that you can upgrade from XP to Vista, so you have to format, install XP, then upgrade to vista

Like I said, correct me if I am wrong, but thats what I have always thought it was

Thats what I'm trying to figure out too lol!

...An "Express Upgrade" program is available for providing free or low-cost upgrades for people who purchase computers with Windows XP between October 26, 2006 and March 15, 2007.[43] The precise costs vary between OEM manufacturers; Dell, for example, will charge $25 USD plus applicable taxes/fees to upgrade Windows XP Professional to Windows Vista Business or Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 to Windows Vista Home Premium, while upgrades from Windows XP Home to Windows Vista Home Basic will cost $45 USD plus $25USD plus applicable taxes/fees.

Further criticism of upgrade licenses was expressed by Ars Technica's Ken Fisher, who noted that the new requirement of having a prior operating system already installed was going to cause irritation for users who reinstall Windows on a regular basis.[47]

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070128-8717.html

retail means that anyone in a retail business that built your computer and can use the disk as many times as they have licenses and oem means you can only use it once and thats on your computer you may correct if wrong but i think i got it right although who knows in todays world