Quick Question

swifty11212

What is the difference between Vista Retail and Vista OEM? I was planing on getting Vista OEM, but then I like to buy retail products although it costs $400... So whats the difference besides the fact you get both 32 and 64bit versions in the retail package? heh

for some reason, i think i remember reading someone say that OEM meant that you would only get a "hassle-free" install first-time, and have to register properly for any further installations. i can't verify this because I have always had no problem with my version of XP - just a net connection and done.

i also wondered what the difference was, but couls only think that OEM has no support from MS...not that you really ever need any.

I believe that if you buy an OEM version of windows you are just going to recieve a cd and a cd key; if you buy the retail version, you will get the fancy fold out box with the cd key printed on it, a booklet showing you why you need to upgrade, all that crap.

I believe that if you buy an OEM version of windows you are just going to recieve a cd and a cd key; if you buy the retail version, you will get the fancy fold out box with the cd key printed on it, a booklet showing you why you need to upgrade, all that crap.

OEM MS OS= System Builder = Must be bought with some sort of computer hardware... which can be a floppy connector :rolleyes:

bingo. it's all in the license agreement. thus the reason I'm including a "free" MS mouse with Vista OEM purchases. which equals nothing more than taking the cost of the $3 mouse off of vista when it's all rung up.

for some reason, i think i remember reading someone say that OEM meant that you would only get a "hassle-free" install first-time, and have to register properly for any further installations. i can't verify this because I have always had no problem with my version of XP - just a net connection and done.

i also wondered what the difference was, but couls only think that OEM has no support from MS...not that you really ever need any.

Thats more less what I am wondering.

OEM MS OS= System Builder = Must be bought with some sort of computer hardware... which can be a floppy connector :rolleyes:

Thats with all OEM software though :P There is no difference in the EULA between the OEM and Retail Vista right? Ill go with the OEM.