New Way To Divide By Zero

i_lag

I'm sure someone has said this already:

If 1/0 = 0, and 2/0 = 0, then 1/0 = 2/0.

In the case that this is true, then divide both sides by 0, the answer?

1 = 2

I think we have a problem!

Don't know how I double posted, didn't think it was possible on OCC. Ok, well he is saying that anything divided by 0 is 0, correct?

I actually messed up by putting divide both sides by 0 instead of multiply by 0.

But what I am trying to say is, think about it this way:

3/4 x 4 = 3

1/0 x 0 = 1?

That is what confuses me, I know anything multiplied by 0 is 0, but....hard to explain. ^^

I don't know, I just think whatever this guy did, it's wrong. :P

Edit: Someone actually posted this, I guess it explains what I was truely trying to say:

If 1 x 0 = 0 and 2 x 0 = 0 then 1 x 0 = 2 x 0 Divide both sides of the equation by 0. You are left with 1 = 2 Some mistake here I think.

Our representation is manmade, mathematics remains the same. If I have one rock and put another one next to it, I have two rocks in that group.

Arkadiy, n*0=0. n/0= undefined. 0/0 = indeterminate (now known as nullity, which is like i now, which is the square root of -1.

Division by zero can not be done, so we substitute the answer when we attempt the equation. There is no answer, we make one up. We're attempting to perform an operation with incorrect parameters, so we make up an answer that's not an answer at all.

Now if we wish to get technical, division by zero may result in infinity if you wish to think of it that way. However, because n*0=0, it's impossible to, so it'd be a number greater than infinity. But you know what? We can't multiply or divide by zero because it doesn't work for those operations. So we can only make up an answer, such is indeterminate, undefined, or nullity. We havn't found a real answer, we made up one. IT'S ALL NUTS!

Edited by Kamikaze_Badger

Now I'm not a math expert here, but the guy is talking about "nullity" being the result of dividing by zero, or as we called it something very similar in algebra class (many moons ago), "null." He gives examples of pacemakers, etc dividing by zero and then crashing. I've never heard of this happening, but even if you were able to replace zero with null, how would the pacemaker then take "nullity" and divide it by anything else that wouldn't make the pacemaker 'crash?'

86/0 = nullity. ... nullity/5 = ???