Need Help Overclocking

ladderman

I'm try to overclock my CPU, using the manual settings in the BIOS, but I'm not sure if I'm doing it right. The highest I can set my CPU FSB is 222, before my system will not boot xp, this is with my CPU Multiplier set X9 and my CPU Volt set at 1.4, my Hyper Trans Freq is set at X3., my DRAM Ratio Has been dropped to DDR200 1:2 from DDR400 1:1 I've also set my PCI Clock Synch at 33.33 to try and keep it stable.

could someone please tell me were I'm going wrong. What should be the speed I should expect from this MOBO and CPU. Any help will be very much appreciated.

My system is as follows:

Gigabyte 3DAurora case

Tagan TG480-U22 PSU

Gigabyte G-power Pro HSF

ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe

AMD Athlon64 3000+

Corsair TwinX PC3200c2Pro (512mbx2)

XFX Geforce6800GS XXXEdtion

Edited by ladderman

• 10 months later...

Well, as far as expected results. The really early week 3000+'s seemed to rock in OC results, but the later ones not so much. I had one for a bit and I couldn't get it much past 2.2ghz.

The first thing you need to do is use a stability test. If you're using settings that are so unstable they won't even boot, you're WAY off track. Use something like OCCT, SuperPI, or Prime95 and run stability tests. DON'T use booting as a stability test. Also make sure you're using some sort of temp monitoring.

Next... You've got the right idea with a memory divider, and it's a good call to drop the mem multi (though you should be able to use 4x until you go over 250 HTT). It sounds like you just need more voltage. Try 1.45 and see if you can push the HTT a bit more. If you can, you just needed some voltage. You can keep pushing the voltage for a while after that. Most people like to stay at or below 1.6v on air cooling, but I think that'll depend on your temps. I like my temps below 40c, but others will say you're OK at or below 50c. It's kind of personal preference there.

Also, dropping to 8x on the CPU multi should let you push the HTT more, but it'll be at the cost of overall clock speed. The 3000+ has a pretty low multi anyways at 9x, so I'm not sure I'd want to drop it any more.